PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stabilitrak on or off

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Default RE: stabilitrak on or off

Thanks RHIll. I'll check fuses etc. I'm in the sticks no dealer, but thanks for being helpful. jh

Old 01-02-2008, 06:55 PM

push and hold button while in gear...a little car with squiggly lines will light up on the dash. If it's not working hit the onstar button and have them run a diagnostic...if it's broke they will be able to tell.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:43 PM

ORIGINAL: SedonaBoundH3

Stabilitrak is a safety system. It's purpose is to sense a slide or skid (at road speeds) and automatically apply brakes and throttle to correct it, so you should turn it off only in truly slick conditions like deep or hard-packed snow, ice, or deep mud where it will have false alarms. Its probably most valuable in wet or light snow conditions where you tend to drive pretty normally.If you turn it offthen, you'll loose its protection just when you need it. A rule of thumb might be that if you're able todrive at routine roadspeeds, it should be left on. If your creeping along on a trail or an icy street, its not going to be of any use, and false alarms may conflict with the Traction Control, so it should be off.

Traction Control is part of 4WD/AWDcontrol and its purpose ispurely getting power to the ground. I would turn it off (if I could) in conditions where there's likelihood for wheel spin on both axles similtaneously; e.g., ice, slick packed snow, ormud, but you'll get different opinions depending on experiences.
I think it depends on what you are trying to do. If you are simply trying to drive on snow packed roads (even really slick ones), I'd leave it on. I can tell you this based on driving around northern Indiana today. Stabilitrak was very nice to have. To my surprise, I actually had a few starts today where all four wheels spun at first acceleration - it was that slick! It didn't take long for the traction control to kick in and stop that. There were also several curves where I felt the Stabilitrak kick in. It helped keep me on the road.

I'd only turn it off in off-road situations. That's my 2-cents worth.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: SteveO

ORIGINAL: hilljob26

is that the lil button on the right side of the center of the dash,mine dont even light up.how do you know if it is on
I also have the same question as hilljob......mine doesn't light up either. How do you know if it's on or off??
OK HillJob, I went outside to try to learn how toturn on and off. Put in gear and hold down the stalilitrack button until you see in your dash the car with the squiggly lines. When you see this, you will see a message in your message indicator box that the stabilitrack isOFF. To make it work again keep in gearand push and hold button until the squiggly light shuts off "Meaning it is on"
Hope this helps,

Old 01-02-2008, 09:00 PM

that sounds very familiar[&:]

Old 01-02-2008, 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

that sounds very familiar[&:]
Import,
Thanks for the info.........I took your advise and tried this. I was just letting Hilljob know that it does work

Old 01-03-2008, 03:18 AM

The stabilitrac is turned off if you hold the button down for about seconds.

A message will appear on the instrument cluster just above the odometer that says something like 'stab. off'

I don't know about snow as we don't get any here in the middle east, but I sure know that the stabilitrac must be turned off in sandy or loose conditions. The system detects slippage and starts to apply braking, most undesirable in sand and gravel.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:45 AM

Manuals don't have Stability Control? I have a manual, and I have the button and have been turning it off when off-roading and in deep snow. Does it not matter?

Old 01-04-2008, 09:13 AM

ORIGINAL: n0m4d

Manuals don't have Stability Control? I have a manual, and I have the button and have been turning it off when off-roading and in deep snow. Does it not matter?
This brings up a good question??? Does the stabilitrack workon amanual?

Old 01-04-2008, 04:17 PM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

stabilitrac and traction control are two different things. Manual transmissions do not have stabilitrac. Only auto's have both.
the 2007 H3 5 speed DOES have stabilitrac

Quick Reply: stabilitrak on or off