PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Sound from front end...somewhere....???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Default RE: Sound from front end...somewhere....???

ORIGINAL: AlanH3

Did the noise stay away?

I have the same creaky squeaky noise as everybody else. I have tried silicon spray and snugging the body mounts etc. The noise will go away for a day or so and then come back. Does anybody have a permanent solution? The noise is just plain embarrassing.

Thanks,
-Alan
Well, Now that the temp is around 30c, spraying the front body mounts with silicon, keeps the noise away for about 1 week [:@]

I do wish GM would finaly address this issue and solve it. It can realy kill the fun when riding my H3

Old 03-25-2008, 11:19 AM

I hear ya..it does ruin the fun of driving the H3 around. I find myself paying more attention to all the noises than enjoying the drive.

I wonder if replacing the bushings would do any good??

Old 03-25-2008, 03:25 PM

Like many others I have had the front-end noise. I had my steering shaft switched and it helped a little, then they replaced

The front drivers side upper 'A' armand that helped a little, but I still have the noise when making a hard turns at around 15mph

with no brakes and no gas just coasting. Also if I am going down an incline it tends to be louder. I have also had a bunch of other

creeks and groans. So yesterday I tried out the silicone spray and I sprayed every thing that moved or had a bushing (ie: body mounts,

leaf springs, shock mounts, 'A' arm pivots, sway bars etc.) . From Front to back. And man what a difference. Not sure if it got ride
of the front-end noise but it helped with a bunch of other stuff. Guess I will have to wait and see how long it lasts.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:31 PM

not so much noise anymore...just little squeaks, creeks, and groans....

Old 03-25-2008, 03:40 PM

Leaf Springs that have U-Bolts that need tightened will also make a creaking sound. My old Jeep makes an awful racket when I'm hitting the twisties. Spring manufacturers solved this supposedly by slipping pieces of nylon in between the springs keeping them from creaking when twisting. It works most of the time until the nylon wears out and needs replaced.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:55 AM

Yesterday I got my H3 back from the dealer and problem solved -- no more creaky/squeaky noise! The issue was a bad ball join (right lower). The dealer replaced it and the truck is silent on low-speed turns and bumps.

I had some luck with the silicone spray earlier. I wonder if it temporarily lubed the bad ball joint. Is that possible? The last time I used the spray (about a weeke ago) it had no effect on the noise at all.

Anyway, I'm glad to have this fixed. Now when people turn to look at me, I know it's not the from the horrible noise :-)

-Alan

Old 04-10-2008, 11:16 PM

I've got the same thing with the creeking sound when the body rolls (mostly during rh turns). I can duplicate the problem by driving diagonally over some speed bumps in the parking structure. I think it is the front body mounts (behind the front wheels -- mounts with the yellow stripe) that are making the noise -- i feel a popping sound/feel just below my left foot when turning my hummer...that tells me it's the body mount. I tried silicone on the rebound half, but that didn't work. Has anyone had the dealer instal any type of shim to the upper half of the body mount cushion?? I have thought about trying that myself, but not sure how to get the body mount out. I thought about loosening all of the mounts on the left side then jacking up the body (maybe 2") and sliding it out to make sure it isn't bent -- but I am afraid of messing up my fender to door gap since the front fender is bolted to the door hinges.

Just curious if anyone has had the dealership do work on the upper body mount cushion??

I heard a few engineers at work think that it is the lower cushion (rebound cushion), but I actually think that the problem is in the upper.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:18 AM

one other thing -- msmachine said that they sprayed silicone on the body mounts -- was it the lower mounts that you sprayed?? did you take off the lower mount and spray where it meets the frame or did you just spray the outside of the mount then tighten it up?? Let me know if you check this post.

Thanks

Old 04-19-2008, 06:48 PM

So its almost a month since I used silicone spray on everything that moved and all is still quiet. I think the warmer weather is helping also. As for the body mounts I just loosened the bolts and sprayed the mount from every angle I could and tried to spin or move the mount with my hand and then retightened. I am much happier with out all the creeks.