PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound from front end...somewhere....???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Default Sound from front end...somewhere....???

Ok, have a question, and searched the old posts....nothing seemed to match up to what I hear. I have no feedback through the steering wheel or the pedals. This is what happens:

When driving slowly in a parking lot. One that has frost heaves, and the body of the truck moves from side to side (not good explanation--when one tire goes down in a low spot, and the other tire is high up, in the front) I hear a creak/low sounding squak type of noise. Sounds like rusty spots rubbing, but sometimes has a little pop to it, but not like the tie rod noise others have talked about.....It will also do this if taking a corner fast and the body rolls......
just odd...and wondered if any other Alpha owners noticed this?

On a different subject;

Doc Olds....do you have the actual alignment specs for an 08' Alpha? I think my driver's side tire might be toed out to much....
If you have those specs could you post them here or PM me????
TIA

Old 02-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Default RE: Sound from front end...somewhere....???

take off your skid plate and see if the sound goes away. if that's it, put some teflon washers between the plate and frame when you put it back on.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:35 PM

hmm...interesting...

Old 02-26-2008, 03:53 PM

mine makes a hell of a racket, just backing out of the driveway.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:11 PM

alpha owner here. just dropped my truck off today at the dealership for a similar problem. for me, its when my front-end hits a bump. it seems to be more noticable when turning and cold. to me, its a low grinding sound...very similar to when the struts went out on one of my old rides. dealer is having trouble replicating the noise, but when you hear it, you cant miss it.my dealer says that one of his techs thinks he knows what im talking about as the tech investigated a similiar situation a few weeks ago. apparently, gm hq told him that itsa normal sound of the vehicle. i, of course, called bullsh!t on that explanation b/c there's no way that's normal. my old h3 never made that noise, and this one just started about a week ago. they'rekeeping my ride another day, so i'll keep you posted on anything i find out.

lil d

Old 02-26-2008, 06:37 PM

dmb7280,
Mine has that low noise....barely noticeable though....it's a little combination of the tires wearing off and a little noise from the power steering.....both my 08's have done that.....more noticeable on the Alpha as it has bigger tires..
The noise I'm speaking about could very well be the front skid plate....I'll have to check that out. I also have the original steering shaft in mine....could be that to.....I called the dealer today, but didn't get an answer back to whether the new part had come in or not......evidentally when I brought my other 08' back, they put the new shaft in that one. They put me on the list for a new shaft, but it all depends on where I fall on it....should be in anytime now......can't wait! I know that is definitely gone because it does the same thing the other 08' did....but not half as bad.....

Old 02-26-2008, 09:13 PM

Have the same noise. If driving slow and sharply turm steeringwheel back and forth to make the body roll. Or even sometimes coming to a stop. The front end will make a crunching sound. I found that if it rained out or washed the undercairage the sound would go away for a day or two. Took it to the dealer x2 for this noise with no fix. The loaner they gave me made the same sound just not as bad.

To make a long story short. Afterripping the truck apart myself I found that the noise is coming from the bodymounts located under the front doors directly below the hinges. I loosenedboth bodymountsup (1 was already loose) and hit them with some silicone spray and tightened them back up. Have not had the noise since!

Hope the works for you too.

Rich

Old 02-26-2008, 10:40 PM

Hiding Squirells??

Old 02-27-2008, 12:30 AM

ORIGINAL: msmachine

Have the same noise. If driving slow and sharply turm steeringwheel back and forth to make the body roll. Or even sometimes coming to a stop. The front end will make a crunching sound. I found that if it rained out or washed the undercairage the sound would go away for a day or two. Took it to the dealer x2 for this noise with no fix. The loaner they gave me made the same sound just not as bad.

To make a long story short. Afterripping the truck apart myself I found that the noise is coming from the bodymounts located under the front doors directly below the hinges. I loosenedboth bodymountsup (1 was already loose) and hit them with some silicone spray and tightened them back up. Have not had the noise since!

Hope the works for you too.

Rich
Rich, you are a Godsend. Going to pick up my ride tomorrow from the dealer...well, hopefully not now. I'm going to ask them to check the body mounts as you suggested. Thanks for the info!!! I'll post an update once I hear something. I hope this is the solution to my problem...

Old 02-27-2008, 01:09 PM

I have an appointment for Friday.......I will let you know when I find out what the noise is...this morning after coming to a stop it sounded like an old door opening, when I took off.....definitely a body mount...passenger's side, from the sound of it....
I'm having a bunch of stuff done down there:
1) revised steering shaft
2) alignment and straighten wheel some more
3) oil change
4) find creaking body noise
Hopefully everything will turn out just right, after the 2 hour drive down..... I have faith...they are pretty good about getting things done right the first time around...

Quick Reply: Sound from front end...somewhere....???