PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

smelling antifreeze in my 07 H3

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Thumbs up smelling antifreeze in my 07 H3

I have a 07 H3 and sometimes I start to smell antifreeze outside the vehicle! it comes and goes! anyone ever had this or experience this with their ride! I have been putting in some dex-tron antifreeze every few months in the over flow container. please help! any info or advise will be great. Thanks

Old 10-06-2012, 01:47 PM

You need to look around for leaks. This can happen to any vehicle. Is there any antifreeze on the ground where you park it at home? You just have to find the leak. It could be a hose, the radiator, the heads, or a million other things.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:56 AM

First thing to check is: theres a sponge on top front part of radiator rip the sponge off on the driver side of rad and check for cracks. Good luck.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Default antifreeze smell

Thanks and I have been looking for cracks and leaks! I have not really been able to locate any cracks, leaks or drips! I only smell it every now and then. the smell is pretty noticable. my temperature gauge runs about halfway or a little above halfway in the colder weather. in the summer weather it runs above halfway and sometimes 3/4 of the way on the gauge. does the H3 have issues with cracked radiators, temperature problems? Thanks for all the help!

Old 10-07-2012, 10:00 AM

Yes they crack right on top front side driver side.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:56 AM

Check the pinch tabs that seal the top tank to the radiator. That is where mine was leaking on my '08. Just replaced mine last week. There is a post on here abount leaking radiators that has a thorough break down on how to replace it yourself. Did mine in just over 1.5 hours .

Wayne

Old 10-09-2012, 08:14 PM

I smelled it for a long time before the crack finally happened. It sucks and I hope you have the extended warranty because its not a cheap fix and the crappy GM service that knows they have a problem wont do a darn thing about it. Anyone that reads this please call GM if yours has cracked and you just paid for it out of pocket and didn't report it or turn it in to them. I'm being told if they have an issue they may have a recall and then people will get their money back if they do this if you have a receipt is what I was told. So the more they hear and know about it cracking the better the chances everyone has of getting money back.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:11 AM
Default Antifreeze

Ok! What finally cracked with yours? Also is there any aftermarket aluminum radiators out there to get for my H3? If so please send info! Thanks

Old 10-10-2012, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by windycitykid
Ok! What finally cracked with yours? Also is there any aftermarket aluminum radiators out there to get for my H3? If so please send info! Thanks
Mine cracked at the top tank. Same thing, smelling antifreeze, finally it started dripping. I drove around with it in town for quiet awhile before replacing. Bought my replacement for 280 or so from VanderGriff Chevrolet in Texas and replaced it myself. Bill Davis radiators makes an aluminum replacement for 950 or so, try a google search. Pricey though.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:42 PM

Mine Finally cracked on the drivers side upper edge. I noticed a smell and wet line of anti freeze on the ridge. About 3"-4" long.

Quick Reply: smelling antifreeze in my 07 H3