PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Marker Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 11:46 AM
Default Side Marker Lights

OK...so, for anyone thinking about (or who needs to) change their side marker lights...buckle up.

After one went out on one side, I went out and bought 2 LED replacement bulbs (194 is the size). And then spent 2.5 hours of skin scraping, finger nail shattering, back-breaking work to get these tiny little things in.

After trying what some suggested (using a non-marring wedge tool), I realized you have to lower the fender guard to do it. Theres 9 or 10 of those retaining clips which are a bit of a pain to get loose (especially some of the ones right above the wheel....not much room in there). After getting them off, I realized that the screws holding the mud flaps in to the liner were in too tight and rusted...so I had to start the bending game.

After wrestling with it for a while, I finally had enough room to get my hand up under neath the fender and in behind where the marker was. I tried as best as I could to "pop" the marker out by bending the two retaining clips holding it, but no chance that was happening...and I couldn't feel my fingertips at that point.

I then discovered that you can simply just twist the harness counterclocwise (from the inside), and then pull it outside the vehicle to easily change the bulb. Popped it back in, and its great.

So...a heads up to anyone. You HAVE TO remove the fender liner. Be careful with the clips as they can go flying (I actually lost one and cracked one so had to buy some replacements...only about $4 direct from GM Dealer).

Now...on to the fun of having to remove the grille to get at the front turn signal lights. Another area with no easy access to these bulbs. Ugh.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:10 PM

After I removed the yellow lenses (by carefully prying from the outside), I took a small file and slightly enlarged the cutouts in the fender where the lens clips mate into. Now I can easily pop the lenses out when I need to change a bulb, but they're in tight enough where they won't pop out on their own.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:48 PM

Yeah, I've removed the lights from the outside too a few times. I could change those bulbs in less than 5 minutes.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:22 PM

Any advice on cheats for chaging the front turn signal lights? I'm going to do those next, but not super happy with the video I found online showing you having to take all the bolts and the grill off, then opening up both side flares. Looks like a lot of work.

Contemplating doing the roof marker lights at the same time, so any hints there also would be appreciated.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by jman1335
Any advice on cheats for chaging the front turn signal lights?
I did a thread on exactly this question.

http://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hu...l-liner-25011/

Old 03-03-2018, 08:40 AM

TY JMan. I changed one marker light and it took me a while. I think there are like 13 clips. I kept missing directly above the tire. For me it was better to remove the entire fender because my hands are too big/ I did not want to break anything. I kept all of the clips but one broke. Mission accomplished. This task was awkward. I did it without removing the wheel. However I thought about just pulling it.

phew