PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Should I grease my ball?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator
Default Should I grease my ball?

I've towed a few trailers since I've had my H3. The one question I keep forgetting to ask anybody is should you apply grease to your ball? I've been pulling Uhaul trailors, (onethis coming Sunday), and notice there is a small amountin theball hook (whatever you call it) but I never bothered putting any on the ball itself. I don't know if you should to make it smoother or not so it doesn't slide around too much.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Default RE: Should I grease my ball?

It is not uncommon forone to grease his ball several times during the lifespan of his ball. It does aid in your ball sliding smoothly into the receiver, however, it is not always needed for your ball to perform as it was designed.

That help? <evil grin>

We are talking about the same thing, right??? [:-]

Old 04-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

[sm=noooo.gif][sm=nothatway.gif]

Old 04-03-2008, 10:39 AM

This thread couldgo a couple of different ways..( yes if you must no..my mind is in the gutter most of the time.)

Old 04-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

I could have attempted to keep this thread as politically and morally correct as any literary expert could possibly do, but it STILL would have went right down the gutter, so I just decided why not start it off the way it will end up anyway

It is an honest question though

Old 04-03-2008, 10:48 AM

I no its an honest question and I really no nothing about..but you can grease your ball as much as you want..but don't make it to slippery..lol

Old 04-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

IMO it is better to grease the receiver, and then insert the ball. Use a clear oderless lubricant...........................on your ball if you must.

Name:  CRCPwrLube.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  17.8 KB

Old 04-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

What about regular old grease. I bought this white grease and Home Depot specifically for garage roller channels. Can I use my white grease on my ball?

Again, an honest question [sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 04-03-2008, 12:32 PM

I would and have greased my *****. Okay now that I got that out of my system. I pull a 26 foot travel trailer. I use an Equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch. Equal-i-zer actually sells a grease especially formulated to use with their hitch and to coat the ball. It is a clear lubricant and they recommend only a thin coat.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

All of the times I have pulled a trailer (what, 4 ) I haven't. What is the life expentancy of a typical hitch ball? I use the Reese receiver and ball. It's already gouged a little bit, I guess from no lubrication? I dunno. It's starting to rust. Do you just buy a new one once it wears down? How often do you have to replace them?

Quick Reply: Should I grease my ball?