PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Salt Neutralizer

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 06:47 AM
Default Salt Neutralizer

Any of you guys ever had any experience with 'salt neutralizing' products? I was thinking of picking up a gallon of this stuff, and on days above 32 degrees, running it through my pressure washer to rinse off the body and undercarriage. There seems to be several companies making this type of product. Here's the one I was checking out. http://www.saltawayproducts.com/

Old 01-12-2011, 07:11 AM
Banned

off topic fwiw,,,

the book says pressure washers can push water past/around seals,like t case and cause serious trbl

Old 01-16-2011, 08:52 AM

We use salt neutralizing products on our snow removal equipment with very good results. I will have to check the brand but I believe most are the same chemical composition. I will be doing the same with my H3 soon as there has been no shortage of salt for us latley.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by drtom
off topic fwiw,,,

the book says pressure washers can push water past/around seals,like t case and cause serious trbl
What book? And, I'm sure there was a listed psi for the power washer; since they come in all pressures.

I personally, have used a 1600 psi power washer (electric) quite a few times to clean the body and undercarriage and no problems. I only go through one of those touchless power washer car washes and no problems.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Banned

the enginneers who rote the book,gm svc manual must figger that it dont take much pressure to sneak past a rubber seal, ask ure pregnant girlfriend!.

anyway ure free to take chances, it takes months for the water to slowly trash ure t case,,,they said,

some guys wont drive a mile on a small spare, then p w the t case,,,huh, its ok,,,im just reporting

Old 01-16-2011, 08:35 PM

That looks like a great idea. Are you aware of any stores that sell it? Like NAPA or Wal-Mart. I could use some tomorrow as we will hit 40 degrees tomorrow and my H2 needs a bath.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:45 PM

First, let me explain something to you. It appears you are ignorant to the following facts.
Except for electronic diagnosis, engineers at GM do not technically write the service manuals. They are written by an outside firm (or firms). Some are engineers, some are just technicians and/or tech writers. If you are lucky, they actually take a vehicle apart. If not, they use engineering drawings to figure out the procedure. (I will note that Saturn manuals were actually written by Saturn service engineers, but not since Cadillac back in the 90s, has any GM manual been written by an actual GM employee.)

The electrical diagnosis is done by the engineers at GM. (I should say was, since I have been out of GM for two years, and who knows who does what now.)

I know this how? 18 years with GM/Saturn in service engineering. Last three years on the Hummer account.

I have had numerous GM vehicles and used a power washer to wash the body as well as the undercarriage many times. I currently go through a high pressure power wash at least once a month; whether or not the vehicle needs it or not. No water has leaked into any of the underbody components or into the vehicle past any of the body seals.

I have over the years (last time about three months ago) drained all my fluids and that means in the case of my two H3s, trans, t/case, and front/rear axles, and have never had any signs of water infiltration past the seals. Just in case you don't know, water in fluids is very noticeable. Since I know a bit about the fluids, I know what to look for. But a person would have to be blind not to notice water in any of the fluids.

I will also note that if you are using one of those really gas engine hi-power washers with 2800 or greater psi, I might agree. But car washes and those electric power washers are usually around 1600-1900 psi.

I might also agree a seal could be damaged if you put the end of the nozzle directly onto the seal and left it there for a few seconds in one spot. But that is not how a person normally cleans the undercarriage. They usually wand it back and forth.

In addition, if water is passed by a gasket or seal by pressure, the gasket or seal has now been compromised. A compromised seal will allow fluids to now leak out as well as water to enter. This is true even though the fluids have larger molecules.

And I DO NOT HAVE A PREGNANT GIRLFRIEND; that that it would be any of your business if I did.