PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

remove center console

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 07:22 AM
Default RE: remove center console

ORIGINAL: H24CABO

After reading Shortbus' post I think I am liking my stock stereo better and better!
You right I had mine out four times [:@] but I'm happy with my Kenwood DDX

[IMG]local://upfiles/140/131152BEBD724137A49F71D8969A41FD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/140/AC3E0752E70840BEAA64C83E12D446A7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-27-2006, 10:32 AM

Never had mine out, but it's been rattling.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:54 PM

in the kenwood where is th cd player

Old 01-04-2009, 10:57 AM

Thank you Shortbus, your post has been a tremendous help. I have a 2006 SUV, with Nav/XM in the dash and DVD in the center console, and I’m adding a Neo Auxin to enable me to use MP3 and other auxiliary devices.

There were a few differences with your post and what I’ve found, so I decided to add my comments in hope of helping others. The disassemble process should take less than 10 minutes, providing you don’t lose any of the little clips holding the shifter/cup holder fascia in place (it took me 30 – 45 minutes just to locate the two I lost because they’re so small and hard to see).

In my case, the tools needed were – a phillips screw driver, a T15 torx driver, 5/32 allen wrench, 3/16 allen wrench, 7mm socket, 10mm socket, and a couple of socket extensions to make it easier.

1. Open the center console lid and remove the center console bucket held in place by 4 - phillips head screws. Pull out the bucket, unplugging any accessories. In my case, I had to unplug the DVD player and the FM switch.
2. Remove the center console lid and hinge by removing the 4 - T15 torx screws that hold the hinge to the side of the center console.
3. Remove the shifter handle. In my case, the handle was held in place by 2 - 5/32 allen screws.
4. Remove the fascia around the shifter/cup holders by gently pulling up on it. This is the hardest part of the entire process because it’s almost impossible to remove it without losing one or more of the 3 little clips that hold it in place. Make sure you have all 3 before proceeding. If any did fall into the shifter cavity, a magnetic part extractor will help retrieve them.
5. Remove the 4 - 10mm bolts in the bottom of the console that is under where the bucket was.
6. Remove the 10mm bolt that is under where the shifter fascia was.
7. There are 2 - 7mm bolts that bolt the center console to the dash. These also hold the bottom of the center dash fascia in place. Remove these and you should be able to lift and slide the entire center console back enough to remove the center dash fascia without having to disassemble anything else.
8. Remove the 2 - 3/16 allen screws that hold the top of the center dash fascia. Gently pull the fascia away from the dash to disengage the 7 retaining clips. Unplug the cig lighter and auxiliary power jacks and you can now remove the fascia.

To reassemble, reverse the steps.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by shortbus
between the seats, or from the dash? you have to remove the center piece between the seats to take off the center dash for accessing the stereo, onstar, climate controls.

remove the lid from the center console. loosen the torx head bolt holding the shifter handle on, it's in the front, facing the dash, and pull off the shifter handle. pull up the facia around the shifter/cup holders - make sure the clips don't fall down into the cavity, they're a bitch to dig out. remove the bolts/screws under the facia and the console bucket (not sure how many there are). there are 2 screws in the little cavity under the rear radio/climate control, you'll need to remove those as well. once you have everything loose, you can lift the center piece and slide it backwards.

to remove the dash part, remove the 2 screws on top, on either side of the A/C vents. then pull the console straight back. disconnect the cables for the cig lighter and auxiliary power jacks and it will come right out.

be careful putting it back together, the a/c vents on the rear have a tendency to not line up as easily as those on the dash. good luck, hope this helps.

So what if you lose those clips (which it appears my stereo installer did) so where can I get some replacement clips?

Old 01-23-2011, 02:10 PM

If you know the size of the clip (did see a 1/2" width by 5/8" height one) you may find it here http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/login.asp under Misc. Clips, Handles, Throttle Rod section. The bad thing, got to by packages of them

I found the ones (larger in size 5/8" width, 1" length, 5/8" height and have extras if anyone needs any/couple) I needed for the fake front air intakes when I was fixing the wiper module and broke one of them.

P.S. I always was able to find those console clips hiding down in the console if I looked hard enough, pain in the a$$ but that might be where yours are at, just a thought.

Ed

Old 01-23-2011, 11:14 PM

I'll get out the magnet on the stick and see what I can find

Old 01-24-2011, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by H2SUV_2006
Thank you Shortbus, your post has been a tremendous help. I have a 2006 SUV, with Nav/XM in the dash and DVD in the center console, and I’m adding a Neo Auxin to enable me to use MP3 and other auxiliary devices.

There were a few differences with your post and what I’ve found, so I decided to add my comments in hope of helping others. The disassemble process should take less than 10 minutes, providing you don’t lose any of the little clips holding the shifter/cup holder fascia in place (it took me 30 – 45 minutes just to locate the two I lost because they’re so small and hard to see).

In my case, the tools needed were – a phillips screw driver, a T15 torx driver, 5/32 allen wrench, 3/16 allen wrench, 7mm socket, 10mm socket, and a couple of socket extensions to make it easier.

1. Open the center console lid and remove the center console bucket held in place by 4 - phillips head screws. Pull out the bucket, unplugging any accessories. In my case, I had to unplug the DVD player and the FM switch.
2. Remove the center console lid and hinge by removing the 4 - T15 torx screws that hold the hinge to the side of the center console.
3. Remove the shifter handle. In my case, the handle was held in place by 2 - 5/32 allen screws.
4. Remove the fascia around the shifter/cup holders by gently pulling up on it. This is the hardest part of the entire process because it’s almost impossible to remove it without losing one or more of the 3 little clips that hold it in place. Make sure you have all 3 before proceeding. If any did fall into the shifter cavity, a magnetic part extractor will help retrieve them.
5. Remove the 4 - 10mm bolts in the bottom of the console that is under where the bucket was.
6. Remove the 10mm bolt that is under where the shifter fascia was.
7. There are 2 - 7mm bolts that bolt the center console to the dash. These also hold the bottom of the center dash fascia in place. Remove these and you should be able to lift and slide the entire center console back enough to remove the center dash fascia without having to disassemble anything else.
8. Remove the 2 - 3/16 allen screws that hold the top of the center dash fascia. Gently pull the fascia away from the dash to disengage the 7 retaining clips. Unplug the cig lighter and auxiliary power jacks and you can now remove the fascia.

To reassemble, reverse the steps.
FYI: You don't have to remove the console lid.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by joeventura
I'll get out the magnet on the stick and see what I can find

Magnet stick turned up two out of the three clips, and that was enough for me to close it up

Old 01-31-2011, 02:51 PM

you can always take 3M tape and fold it over those 3 tabs. It holds in great...and no more clips to loose.

Quick Reply: remove center console