PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removal of stick-on add-ons

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
Default Removal of stick-on add-ons

What is the best way to remove 3M Adhesive-use add-on accessories?

Is my best bet still my heat gun and patience?

Old 01-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Default RE: Removal of stick-on add-ons

WD-40 will turn the glue to goo and not hurt your paint one bit. It's also good for getting sticky crap off your hands like pine tar.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Heat gun is a little hot for my liking, hair blow dryer is better. What could be better to remove the remaining residue/adhesive than......Name:  12174h.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  36.6 KB

Old 01-09-2008, 09:49 AM

your just asking for paint damage if you pull out the ole heat gun...geez

Old 01-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

With the WD40 or adhesive remover; do you peel it off first and then use the liquid to get the remaining residue off, or do you douse the area with it and let it seap on and underneath the adhesive before you try to peel it off?

Also, can you buy that adhesive remover at any Home Depot/Menards? (I know I have asked this before, but don't remember).

I forgot about this stuff until you posted it Doc.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:02 AM

WD-40 is cheap and can be bought anywhere. Soak it down, let it soak in real good and gradually work the part off. Then soak the glue again and scrape off with a non-metalic object like your fingernails :-) I took the dealer logo off in no time this way. It also works on bugs, tar, gum and anything else that gets stuck to your paint. Totally harmless!

Off subject...I also use it on those rusty cast iron parts under the H3. Spray it on and let it soak in the rust, it'll stop it in it's tracks! Works on aluminum corrosion too and displaces H2O from places where you don't want it such as metal seams and inside your doors, just spray into the door drains.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info RJ! I appreciate it.

IK: I used a heat-gun to get the factory logos off but used the lowest heat setting. The paint was fine. I have a variable heat gun, so I can turn it down to hair-dryer mode. Give me a LITTLE credit here. I'm not THAT bad (ok, well sometimes).

Old 01-09-2008, 10:29 AM

I just picture you with a blow torch and goggles blasting away

Old 01-09-2008, 10:35 AM

I successfully removed some badging with mineral spirits and some fishing line. The fishing line (worked back and forth behind the badge) won't scratch the paint. Any remaining gummy residue came of with cloth and mineral spirits.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

The 3M adhesive remover come with a pointy squirt nozzel, you can attach that to pre soak the glue tape if you like. You can buy it at most auto parts and hardware stores. It is pricey, like $13.00......liquid gold. A little goes a long way and will not mess up automotive finishes. I typically use it to wipe off after removal of the emblem/tape etc. with a soft cloth. Great for decal removal, just put some on the cloth and hold it againstany stubborndecal letting it work in, and then if needed, with a little heat, should peel off.Wipe the residue clean.

I haven't used that stinky old WD40 in 10+ years. I found that CRC Power Lube is much better, does more and better.
"The next generation of multi-purpose lubricants. This all in one product quickly penetrates, lubricates, stops squeals, fights corrosion & loosens rusted parts. New & Improved formula is odor free." doesn't stain and improves electrical connections! I use it all over the boat. Salt water boating turned me on to this stuff.

Name:  CRCPwrLube.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  17.8 KB Why don't I have stock in this stuff? Gotta call my broker.

Quick Reply: Removal of stick-on add-ons