PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Rear Wheel Fell Off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Default RE: Rear Wheel Fell Off while driving

No problem guys. It is a crazy sounding story. Even the service guy can't believe it. They actually called me to find out exactly were it happened so that they could find the remaining nuts to inspect them.

I Just picked up a rental today. I talked to the service guys at the dealership. They said that the actual bolts attached to the disk broke and not the actual lug nuts. I have to say that when I talk to them they were really good about filling me in on what was going on. They assured me that they are going to get to the bottom of it and are replacing the entire rear axle and whatever else goes along with it. I don't know a lot about repairing vehicles, but the guy said that they are not taking any chances. That makes me feel a little better about it. They are thinking that it was a defect, and have called the big dogs in to come in and inspect it.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:46 AM

Sorry for thinking you were a TROLL!!![:@]

We see ALL KINDS on Here!Name:  grin1.gif
Views: 117
Size:  3.3 KB

Old 01-13-2007, 10:09 AM

ORIGINAL: CCMDoc
I have to add that two friends have had a wheel fall off while driving. In both cases they had just had new tires mounted (two different places)and it was clear that the shop never tightened the lugs.
Ron White and Sears Auto Service comes to mind...I wonder if they all went to the sameTire Collage and all missed school on lug nut day.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Little Monster

ORIGINAL: CCMDoc
I have to add that two friends have had a wheel fall off while driving. In both cases they had just had new tires mounted (two different places)and it was clear that the shop never tightened the lugs.
Ron White and Sears Auto Service comes to mind...I wonder if they all went to the sameTire Collage and all missed school on lug nut day.
Name:  cryingwlaughter.gif
Views: 119
Size:  8.0 KBName:  cryingwlaughter.gif
Views: 119
Size:  8.0 KB

Attached Images
File Type: gif
cryingwlaughter.gif (8.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 01-13-2007, 11:46 PM
ZOO

I retract has well. Did you happen to take any pics?

Old 01-14-2007, 07:05 AM

Were your windows down when this happened?

Old 01-14-2007, 04:14 PM

Unfortunately no pics, and I wish my windows were down. But unfortuanetly this time of year in Buffalo it is pretty chilly.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Have you gotten your truck back yet buddy? I'm interested in finding out what they found.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:23 PM

I finally got my vehicle back. They basically said that they have never seen anything like it. The only explanation they could give me is that either it was faulty or somehow the lugs were torqued too much at the factory and that caused them to weaken. However they replaced everything and assured me that they were instructed to triple check everything that wasn't replaced. The guys at the service desk told me that they shipped the parts to GM to be inspected because of the uniqueness of the situation.

I think it was just a freak accident and I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else. I would just make sure that your lugs are torqued properly to be safe. If I hear anything else I will keep you posted.

Old 01-20-2007, 01:20 PM

Glad the Dealer gave you a note of confidence that everything should be fine now...Over torquing is usually the cause of Warped rotors and siezed lug nuts..Good luck

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Fell Off while driving