PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Wheel Fell Off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Default RE: Rear Wheel Fell Off while driving

My bull****ometer is registering off the scale here and I'm lacing upmuh justins! IMO, doesn't seem to be a valid reaction to something of this magnitude occurring. "I thought it a little strange" ??? Wait a sec here...my wheel falls off and is rolling down the street...my reaction is going to be much stronger than this! This is a major malfunction that could have had dire consequences! (Unless of course said incident occurred after some "amateur mechanic-ing" done by oneself) And nofurther responses from this person? [>:]

Old 01-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

OK people. I am a skeptic with certain things, but I almost had the same thing happen.

After the first few thousand miles of buying it new, I decided to take the wheels off because I thought I heard a noise. On one tire the bolts were so tight I had to jump on the wrench to loosen them, and on another one, they were not tight at all, actually unreasonably loose. I was pretty upset. I called the dealer and told them about it. The Hummer sales manager had his guys check every single H3 on the lot, and he said he found one with the same problem. He actually thanked me for telling him. SO, that all being said, I wouldn't discount that he is telling the truth.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:21 AM

Hmmmmm maybe I should check this out too considering I just had my tires rotated at the dealership the other day? What a PITA to have to do so considering I have those decorative anti-theft locking lugcap cover thingies. I should not have to worry about such things considering I left it in the hands of "professionals" to do this for me!

And if my surmissions about this post were incorrect..my apologies...if not, then shame on them!

Old 01-11-2007, 11:23 AM

Here's a question. How many Ft Lbs of torque sshould lugs be tightened to? I see the guys at Discount tire do this methodically, but when we change a flat, we never think about it. We just tighten as much as we can. I bought a nifty air compressor so I can rotate my own tires instead of waiting all day for them to do it for me. I sure would like to do it correctly.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure it is either in the manual or on the label with the tire pressures on the driver's side door.

I wouldn't go being paranoid. The chances that your lugs are under or over tightened are pretty slim. How many people do you see actually having wheels come off while driving?It's probably 1 in a million. I wouldn't be worried about it, but I'm just saying, I can speak from experience. Ittakes ALOT of pressure to crack a lug bolt, especially on a Hummer. For ALL of them to break at one time, and going 2 MPH, yes that doesn't sound right to me either, but I thought I'd share my experience

Old 01-11-2007, 02:17 PM

Wheels on the H3 are 103 lb ft. At my dealership we use tork sticks (but they don't make on for 103 so we use 100). The tork sticks limit the amount you tighten the wheels. If a wheel came off it was probably a little loose and a small amount of chucking back and forth could start breaking studs. Steve

Old 01-11-2007, 03:54 PM

Sounds to me like total bull, or someone who doesn't care much for this guy loosened his lugs while he was inside. Better yet he decided to try a little bit of mechanic work and forgot to tighten the bolts, and told the dealer they shot off on him.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:38 PM
ZOO

This is a total BS story. I seen the same thing on another forum about a year back. It's either a treehugger or some none Hummer owner trying to get us worked up. Also notice how the person has not replied back to any of the comments. Give me a break! [sm=forgetit.gif]

Old 01-12-2007, 12:05 AM

HG123 strikes again...

Old 01-12-2007, 01:14 AM

Well they have certainly struck fear in me.. I have not slept since this post, in fear that my wheels were going to fly off.....

LOL [&:]

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Fell Off while driving