PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

raising the front of my truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Default RE: raising the front of my truck

Glad you clarified that..For a minute there I thought were Polish..well being from Chi town, that wouldn't be unheard of I guess

Old 10-03-2006, 08:18 PM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

ORIGINAL: HummBob

Greenblade, your going the WRONG DIRECTION

LOWER IT BABY!!!!!!!
I hear that my man. I wanted to lower my H3, but NOOO the wife says "It's a Hummer it's supposed to be jacked up" but then when I get it all muddy and say "It's a Hummer it's supposed to be muddy and dirty" of course I'm wrong

TELL ME ABOUT IT...The wife isn't pumped about me driving a lowered Pimp Mobile Name:  sleezy.gif
Views: 35
Size:  7.3 KB

Every time we see an H2 in a movie or TV show, like that BIG BLACK BADASS one in SMITH (anyone see it?), she's all " I LOVE how that H2 looks all jacked up BLAH...BLAH...BLAH..."Name:  argument.gif
Views: 60
Size:  5.6 KB

TOO BAD...MY HUMMER, YOUR ESCALADE Name:  raspberry.gif
Views: 85
Size:  6.5 KB

Old 10-04-2006, 01:59 AM

ORIGINAL: shortbus

DON'T ADD SPACERS, DON'T ADD SPACERS, DON'T ADD SPACERS ! ! ! !

hopefully i was clear on my opinion. if you're only looking for an extra inch (although your wife may want more ), just use the torsion bars. that way you have no questions about what may be different, and it's one of the simplest things you can do to raise the front without messing up anything else. the ride difference is going to be minimal, try the t-bar first before you waste money.
The female interest has deemed at least 2 inches necessary. [:-]

But tomorrow i'll crank the bolts and see how it looks/rides when its done. Thanks for the advice.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Linus Gump

I agree with Shortbus. Try turning the torsion bars first. It's free, and if you don't like it you can always turn them back with nothing lost, but knowledge gained. I know with my H3 when I turned mine (gained about an inch) there wasn't a siginificant difference in ride other than the initial drive afterwards where I was looking for a difference. Now I don't even notice it, even compared to when I drove a '07 loaner for a few days.
thanks linus.

Tomorrow i'll do the deed.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:08 AM

OK, i did the deed.

I went a full 4 turns on each of the bolts, and then another 1/2 turn on one bolt to make the two sides of the truck level. If that is a really bad idea somebody let me know. The jeep **** did the actual turning and reported the # of turns.

I measured the clearance before and after and the net increases in clearance (with air suspension raised) are:

Under the front skid plate:
before: 11"
after: 12"

right behind the tube frame:
before: 14.5"
after: 15.375"

in front of the rear wheels a foot or two (behind one of the rock slider bolt spots):
before: 15.5"
after: ~16"

So the clearance of the truck now, right between the wheels where you get hung up, is up about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch, which is good. Its just barely less than 16", quite a bit better than any other factory vehicle that isn't an H1.

Throw in 37" tires instead of the 35's (slightly small 35's, i think) and i'll have nearly 2" extra clearance in the middle, and at least 13" to the front skid plate, a 2+" (or slightly more) gain.

I drove around for 10 miles or so and the ride change wasn't dramatic. It might be a little stiffer, but it also handled really rough spots (like these old, sunken, brutally rough railroad tracks not far from home) a little smoother. Overall i'm happy that the ride quality isn't changed too badly.

Some questions: is this an excessive amount of turns/lift? Does the ride staying good mean i didn't over-tighten anything? Any damage/wear/stress consequences for doing this?