PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question for the group

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 11:59 AM
Default Quick question for the group

Have to take the 2096 H3 to stealer um I mean dealer tomorrow. Think I got a bad catalytic converter as when running I get the rocks in a coffee can rattle and also solid check engine light which has to do with emissions. My question is does anyone have an idea ballpark wise as to how much replacing that will cost. I only got about 1k to work with. Think that will cover it? Thanks for any and all replies!

Old 11-05-2015, 06:24 PM
rsc

It would be about $350 if you bought a manifold off ebay and installed it yourself. You would have to worry about the possibility of broken flange bolts so that would also figure in to your decision. If you sprayed the bolts down with penetrating oil ahead of time it would help. A mechanic (I would steer away from a dealership if out of warranty) should be able to do it for under $1k easily. I would upgrade to a header while it was off if I could swing it.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rsc
It would be about $350 if you bought a manifold off ebay and installed it yourself. You would have to worry about the possibility of broken flange bolts so that would also figure in to your decision. If you sprayed the bolts down with penetrating oil ahead of time it would help. A mechanic (I would steer away from a dealership if out of warranty) should be able to do it for under $1k easily. I would upgrade to a header while it was off if I could swing it.
You are assuming he is talking about the Pup Cat (in the exhaust manifold) rather than the rear full Cat.... and it probably is, but?

So.... Gomer, which is it???

Old 11-06-2015, 05:48 PM

Well took it in this morning and now am getting the run around. They say they found a small crack in the exhaust manifold so they want to replace that with the front cat as its all one piece. Then they said I needed a new thermostat as mine was sticking open but funny I never had any codes for that as my check engine light did not come on till my exhaust problem. Then they also said I needed stuts for the front hood cuz the original ones are not keeping the hood open but funny cuz I just replaced the battery two weeks ago and I had no problems with it staying open or any of the other hundreds of times I had it open. Then they also recommended replacing trans fluid and coolant. (Only have 70k on it). i don't know what to believe at this point. First they wanted like $1800 to do everything but I told them j didn't have that much so told them to do just the front exhaust stuff and so he says I'll crunch some numbers and see what I can do cuz I told them I only had 1k to work with, he comes back with we can do for $1300. Plus tax etc so I said fine I'll borrow what I can. Then he calls back and says it's the back cat that making the noise and the tech actually recommended replacing both and new price would be $1600. I told him I did not have that much so he said he would ask tech what is the best thing to do so we decided to do the front stuff only. I then said I only have $1500 total to work with is there any way you can waive the $150 diagnostic fee then do it all for $1500? He then says well were alteady pretty much waiving that fee to get it down to the $1300 price for the front stuff. However he then says but because of our mistake of not including the back cat in the original estimate/diagnostic I'll try to get you a better price. At this point I was so frustrated I said ok whatever call me on Tuesday when it's done. Here's the thing though if he can still get me a better price then why not take the $1500 and just do both? I mean his quote was only $1600 with tax etc.. anyway?? Not sure what to believe with these guys something deinitely seems off. Anyway I'll post back on Tuesday and let ya know what happens.

Last edited by Gomer; 11-06-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:21 PM

sometime when i dont know what to do, i do nothing ,,for a while, think it over, just WHAT is necessary. sounds like a lot of bs flying around.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:24 PM

Ugh! Lol...
That is certainly a frustrating situation you have. I'd agree patients can pay off.
Taking time is usually benafitial.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:04 PM

Well told them just to do the front manifold and cat. Guess I'll still have the rattle which they say is in the rear and I'll have to go that one at another time. However I might be able to do that one myself if it's just unbolt and replace? (Have not researched it yet). Sigh and they wonder why no one likes the dealer.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:24 PM
rsc

Stay away from that mechanic. If you decide to do any more work on it, take it somewhere else. Always take it for a second opinion too.oh, if you don't have a P0170(iirc) code, the thermostat isn't bad. True, a leaking exhaust can blow hot air up near it but I doubt that's a problem with the cooler weather just arriving.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:23 AM

the rear cat is a little more than bolt and replace unless you buy the OEM one because it is one long piece and finagling that piece in there is a pain. I need to replace my rear cat because it is no longer doing its job, but I am researching a cheaper alternative to weld in. when I replaced my manifold I didn't break any bolts off, but did find some that were already broke off. the biggest problem that I found when replacing my manifold is the lower bolts had to be cut out with a torch.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:37 PM
Default A/c shut off????

My 08 h3 with 153k on it was running great when this a/c shut off thing pop up

anybody???

Quick Reply: Quick question for the group