PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with Upper Beam Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 07:13 PM
Default Problem with Upper Beam Lights

Hi,

I´ve got a problem with the upper beam lights of my H3. The main brightness goes into a distance of about 6 feet in front of the car and the lights just don´t reach far objects. What could that be? Did you make the same experience with the H3 lights? I know how to change the angle of the low beam lights but how can I adjust the angle of the upper beam lights?
Thanks,
Daniel

Old 09-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Default RE: Problem with Upper Beam Lights

I think I know what you are talking about. I am a little disappointed in my high beams as well. They are like the low beams, but only brighter; really not much light farther out. I would assume that the same adjustment screws for the low beam also do the high beam. Most vehicles move the reflector behind the light to adjust it.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:46 PM

I am disapointed in the high beams too. I not only have a complaint with them not reaching very far, but also not being bright. I get more light when I have the regular low beams running and turning on the fog lights. Any one else notice this on theirs?

Old 09-03-2006, 10:27 PM

That's what I do too. I just wish I could reach out farther.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:04 AM

If your lights are only reacing out 6 feet you got something wrong! you need to be 25 feet away just to aim them properly. As far as adjusting the highs seperate from the lows, it cannot be done because the highs and lows use the same bulb, just a different filament in that bulb. My stock highs sucked also but I bought new bulbs and the highs are much much better. Replacement bulb size is an H13 if you are interested.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:29 AM

What's the stock High/Low wattages?

And Mike what are the Wattages of your new lamps?...

Gotta be careful not to get too much higher wattage than stock, as it could overload the wiring and or melt the lens casing...Xenon are the whitest, as I've used those before ..(Silver Star) was the brand name..

Old 09-04-2006, 01:19 AM

I believe that the stockers are 55 watt low and 60 watt high. I first replaced them with yellow 90 watt low and 100 watt high, that lasted a month and melted my wire harness plugs [:@] I then replaced them with hyper blue 65 low 70 high. No problems since. I can't find my stock bulbs so I am guessing on the stock numbers but I think that is accurate.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mine go very far right out of the dealer. They are still aimed perfectly. There must be a way to fix that.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:39 AM

The 07 loaner I had was not that great in the lighting dept. Not much difference between high and low beams.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:05 PM

Ours seem to be doing OK. I do think that one thing I've noticed is this:

We leave the fog lights on with the low beams, and switching to the high beams creates a big difference up close to the vehicle. I think that the highs are working fine, but it's an adjustment when you get used to the extra light offered by the fog lights. So there seems to be a lack of light when going to the highs. But when I pay attention to it, I can see that the high beams are throwing light down the road like they are supposed to ... it just doesn't have that intense lighting right out in front like it does on low, with the fogs on.

But if someone supects that they might have some that are out of alignment, then just write it down, and when you need to take it into the dealer for something else, have them check it while it's there.

Usually for all the little pittly things like that, I just make a list and have it all done at once vs running back and forth for every little thing.