PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Prefered oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Default RE: Prefered oil filter

Consumer Reports a few years ago rated Fram the best of all the discount store filters. However I've heard good and bad about them from people who seemingly know a lot more than me. Maybe I'll Google it someday and see what I can find.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:01 PM

ORIGINAL: blackstangs281

I have taken a few brand name filters apart to compare them. And I will never use fram again.

These are the ones I looked at ranked in order:

K and N - Very well built filter and a lot of filtering material.

Mobil 1 - Same as K and N

Bosch - Metal top and bottom holding filter together. Good filter for the money.

Motorcraft - Same as Bosch with alot of material.

AC - Tied with Motorcraft

STP - Not as much material inside, but still has metal holding it together inside.

Fram - Very little filtering Material, and is only held together with cardboard

This was all done with a standard ford filter. PH8A in fram.

I used to use fram all the time till I saw this. Now I go with Bosch or AC on the H2.
This is a fact. The majority of all filters made in America are contracted and manufactured by Fram, no matter what name is on them.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:02 PM

Cut a couple apart yourself. Get a Fram PH8A and the same in another brand. You will be suprised.
I was.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:05 PM

ORIGINAL: D VADER

This is a fact. The majority of all filters made in America are contracted and manufactured by Fram, no matter what name is on them.
Most are made by champion filters to the buyers specs.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I decided to do a little reading. I emphasize..........little, not like oil filters are exciting and needed to sustain life, but damn this shyt was interesting.

Check this link out. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...7457/site_id/1

This MS word doc and photos is a few years old, but it should set the record straight (takes a minute to load) http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/oilfilters/oilfilter.doc

Suffice it to say, blackstang's list is a super condensed version of this guy's conclusions for the most part. Bob must have more free time thanimportkiller [8D]

Old 11-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Old 11-06-2007, 05:04 PM

Good find.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:38 PM

Anyone tried Amsoil Synthetic. I hear it's the best by far. I've used Amsoil 2 stroke and gas powered RC Helicopters and the motor looked brand new after dozens of hours, super smooth idle and good heat protection too.

I know Amsoil makes oil filters too that are supposed to give you 15-25K between oil changes when used with Amsoil Synthetic Oil. Wonder if they have H3 filters?

I don't know if I'd go 20-25K miles without a oil change though. I think I could go 10K, any more and I'd pull my hair out worrying.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:38 PM

I use a mobil 1.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:32 AM

I have heard, in this forum and others, that Amsoil is the best oil you can get, better than Mobil 1 even. Some sites on the net can actually confirm this with hard numbers so my next oil change will be Amsoil. Now if I can just decipher all that filter data!

Quick Reply: Prefered oil filter