PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Possible shift fork issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 03:55 AM

when the fork is broke,its like its not in there. then the sleeve that it would NORMALLY move can move any time it is inclined to,like when the car is moving.

have it your way.
he said,,,"when you have a TC Fork issue, the TC will not shift."
im pretty sure he meant it wont shift under normal control, like with the buttons huh?
it will shift when it wants to

Last edited by happythree; 06-24-2014 at 03:59 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:34 PM
CWC

I don't really know enough about how the fork actuates the lock mechanism to know how it would be affected by a busted part. The cases I've seen haven't been an all out failure of the part, more like the part is "worn". And I'm thinking a "worn" part sounds like it may misbehave in these types of random ways that people have been experiencing. I stopped by my Chevy service shop and talked to a tech there who has heard of this issue and the replacement of the part. However he said it is not a metal replacement part, but instead is a "reinforced" plastic one.I don't want plastic back in there if it wore out this fast. I am going to look for one from an aftermarket company and see what the options are.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:30 PM

plastic,,,metal,,,its been discussed here a thousand and 3 times. you are not reading all the valuable info here. you are jumping all over instead of READING WHATS BEEN HERE FOR YEARS!!!

Old 06-27-2014, 08:52 AM
CWC

I have waded through tons of searches. I understand for you guys that have been around here for years may not want to talk about the same old problems that come up. However, at some point, the new guys like to have some helpful input from active members such as yourself happythree. Sometimes talking to a real person can get you the answers you need if the piles of searches come up dry. I myself enjoy helping people out on the forums when I see someone is making an attempt at research and then asks a question. That is one reason they exist. Apparently this truck has many issues, as I have spent the last 2 months repairing one item after another, too long to list here. Feel free to ignore my repetitive questions, since it appears I am going to be a frequent visitor. Some day when this thing actually runs right (questionable), maybe I will actually be able to discuss actually driving it. Have a great day.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:02 AM

if you arrange a luncheon and a face to face chat with a guy who knows, he will tell you the same thing you can read here. i dont do well with seaches so im not going thru it for you! not much more to say so search,read or keep complaining. nobody can give you answers for your car, only you or a mechanic you trust

Old 06-27-2014, 12:47 PM

So you talked to a guy who you said was a tech at a Chevy service shop who "has heard of this issue" but not actually seen it AND the one who has heard of the issue not actually held one in his hand or even seen the replacement said its reinforced plastic. That's the guy you believe.

But the people who HAVE replaced one AND/or held one in their hands and tell you it's aluminum are the people you don't believe. Hmmmm...

Do yourself and us a favor and go back to that Chevy service shop and ask for part #19180438 and take a look-feel-see for yourself. WARNING/DISCLAIMER, your Chevy service shop may not have the $18-25 part in stock.

Last edited by TAINTER; 06-27-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:30 PM

Hey CWC,
TAINTER is right, you need to quit wasting time and locate a certified Hummer Tech in your area, these other guys won't have a clue figuring out your problem, already been down that road. He'll probably have a bag of these aluminum forks too. The Chevy guys aren't gonna know about this particular issue. Is your 2007 VIN prior to 56TDN13E778100102? if so you'll need some additional info for TC fluid levels if you decide to unbolt the TC yourself. Figure dealer service on the job, labor $500 parts $150. You'll save time and effort by locating the nearest H3 tech. Wouldn't hurt to get a case number with Hummer Customer Service before serviced. Also Doc Olds gives out great advice, he didn't say "no way" your issue is related to the fork. Your probably due for a fluid change anyway, also the fork may appear melted or it may look okay but replacing it with an aluminum one solves the binding issue in many cases. Know the frustration dude, your headed in the right direction by gathering info.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:24 PM
CWC

Originally Posted by happythree
if you arrange a luncheon and a face to face chat with a guy who knows, he will tell you the same thing you can read here. i dont do well with seaches so im not going thru it for you! not much more to say so search,read or keep complaining. nobody can give you answers for your car, only you or a mechanic you trust
No luncheon needed, just a keyboard, computer, and internet connection. Not expecting anyone to do searches for me, just looking for friendly knowledgeable people. Only stating facts of my situation, not complaining about it. Sorry, I just don't get the "I've seen this before so we can never talk about it again thing". Someone might actually come up with some new information, or something that was never covered fully. Nobody is forcing you to participate! Otherwise eventually there will be nothing to discuss, it may as well be a troubleshooting manual with a searchable database relating to mechanical items.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:36 PM
CWC

Originally Posted by TAINTER
So you talked to a guy who you said was a tech at a Chevy service shop who "has heard of this issue" but not actually seen it AND the one who has heard of the issue not actually held one in his hand or even seen the replacement said its reinforced plastic. That's the guy you believe.

But the people who HAVE replaced one AND/or held one in their hands and tell you it's aluminum are the people you don't believe. Hmmmm...

Do yourself and us a favor and go back to that Chevy service shop and ask for part #19180438 and take a look-feel-see for yourself. WARNING/DISCLAIMER, your Chevy service shop may not have the $18-25 part in stock.
Actually I had already seen pictures of the metal fork, some on here, and on other information sources. When the tech told me about the "plastic reinforced?" fork I was doubtful since it looked like even GM switched over to metal replacement after 2007 1/2. They did not have any in stock to look at and the closest one is 300 miles away. So when I got back I ordered a metal Dorman #600-604 fork that should be here in a few days. After I install that and if the TC is in good shape inside, and I still have issues then I guess I will have to continue troubleshooting.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:51 PM
CWC

Originally Posted by humdog
Hey CWC,
TAINTER is right, you need to quit wasting time and locate a certified Hummer Tech in your area, these other guys won't have a clue figuring out your problem, already been down that road. He'll probably have a bag of these aluminum forks too. The Chevy guys aren't gonna know about this particular issue. Is your 2007 VIN prior to 56TDN13E778100102? if so you'll need some additional info for TC fluid levels if you decide to unbolt the TC yourself. Figure dealer service on the job, labor $500 parts $150. You'll save time and effort by locating the nearest H3 tech. Wouldn't hurt to get a case number with Hummer Customer Service before serviced. Also Doc Olds gives out great advice, he didn't say "no way" your issue is related to the fork. Your probably due for a fluid change anyway, also the fork may appear melted or it may look okay but replacing it with an aluminum one solves the binding issue in many cases. Know the frustration dude, your headed in the right direction by gathering info.
The VIN# thing is still unclear to me. My 07 h3 was built in late 06 (October I think off the top of my head) so I would assume it has the old style case in it that needs the extra fluid added. However the last 6 digits of my VIN are 123158. If these are the production count digits then that would mean I have a newer style case that does not require extra fluid and may even have a metal fork already in the case. Or am I using the wrong digits to base my count off of? I always thought it was the last 6. On another note, I didn't realize that there were even any certified Hummer techs available. I thought Hummer service was absorbed by GM dealers and didn't have techs specially trained for Hummer anymore. Apparently they do?

Quick Reply: Possible shift fork issue