PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Default Possible Purchase

I currently have a 2005 Limited Edition Thunderbird. Due to the fact that I need a different vehicle now that my son has his license and has begun driving my Explorer, I am seriously considering buying an H3x, either the Solar Flare Metallic, or the Flash Metallic, the dark gray/black color. Consumer reports really has badmouthed the Hummers........should I be scared off by their reports about reliability........what kind of problems are the H3 having??? Thanks........

Old 11-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Default RE: Possible Purchase

This question gets asked a lot, and here is a post that may help https://www.hummerforums.com/m_95972/tm.htm

Well the 2008 Hummer H3 Alpha was just named 4x4 of the Year by Four Wheeler Mag, and I doubt Consumer Reports really used the H3 the way it's ment to? And you have 5 years or 100,000 mi to find out just how reliable they are, and the in my expierence the Hummer dealers bend over backwards for you. Not to say it is perfect, but to quote a commercial, "When you turn your car on, it should return the favor." The H3 will definatly do that. If I went by CR to couse my car for me I doubt I would be as happy in that Honda Pilot.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:01 PM

CONSUMERS REPORTS SUCK!!!!

Buy One!!! You'll LOVE IT!!!

Old 11-17-2007, 12:36 AM

Consurmer Reports admitted that they used to give carte blanche reliability ratings based on past performance, and in the case of Toyota, bit CR in the ****, since the new Camry is nowhere near reliable.

Look around at other sites, 4x4 focused would be good as well, like your four wheeler, rockcrawler.com, etc. And even Edmunds, etc. Just look at it from that magazine's target demo / audience and go from there.

Mine is on the truck to PA as we speak, and I can't wait!

Old 11-17-2007, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

You have a Bird?? Wow, somebody bought one? What did consumers preports have to say about your Bird, and what do you think in comparison??

Old 11-18-2007, 01:13 AM

And Hummer has just been rated #2 in J.D. Powers Coustmer Satifaction Rating, right behind Lexus.

So buy it, you know you want it!

Old 11-29-2007, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the replies........and you right about the consumer reports on the Thunderbird. Have another question, with GM's 5 year warranty, is it still a good idea to purchase an extended warranty.........have always purchased those on my previous vehicles. Thanks

Old 11-29-2007, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

I don't buy them, but you call there. If you plan on long term ownership, maybe? My only concern would be the auto Trans, the 4L60-E is dependable, but persnickety. Hummers are heavy and the AWD as well as off roading can be hard on them. The current cost of a good rebuild is appx $1300.00 and many of the aftermarket extended warranties will not cover them. So if you go that route, closely look at what components are covered.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:31 PM

Also ins. is cheaper as compared to other vehicles everyone here has reported lower ins. costs. Hummers are safe vehicles my rates went down and I was driving a Hyn. Elantra before, so I got a bigger vehicle but lower rates..go figure. Buy the H3 and if your going to drive it offroad make sure you know what it can do, you'll love it.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:44 PM

i may havea different situation than you, but the extended warranty i bought has paid for itself almost 3 times now. i only had the original 36 mo/36k mile warranty to start with. i've got close to 79k miles now and the replacement/repair list is pretty long. i've put my truck through situations it was built for and i've never been questioned or had my warranty repair work refused for abuse - even when the skid plate was almost hammer welded to the truck. you've got plenty of time to get an extended warranty, there's no need to buy it right away, although you'd probably get a better deal up front . . . . . IMO it's well worth it.

Quick Reply: Possible Purchase