PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to degrease PS or Idler Pulley with Simple Green

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 05:57 PM
Default Is it possible to degrease PS or Idler Pulley with Simple Green

I would hope that since our rigs are meant for off road use the bearings would be packed well and impervious to liquid, but is it possible to degrease a pulley when spraying the engine down with Simple Green for a wash?

Old 02-14-2009, 06:09 PM

Sure, that shouldn't hurt anything. Just don't spray from a hose nozzle directly at a bearing seal. If in doubt spray the simple green or other degreaser then use the hose with no nozzle to rinse it off.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:18 PM

Thanks man, let's say some Simple Green did get in there, do you think that would be enough to degrease the bearing? If so could I counter act that with some silicone spray?

Here is thread about the larger issue I'm having; https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=14802

Old 02-14-2009, 08:54 PM

Try to stay away from silicone spray. If any gets in the intake it will ruin our Oxygen Sensors. In general if a sealed ball bearing is squeaking or whining it should be replaced.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:14 AM

Get a new belt....I had the same problem with my 2008 Alpha...started out as an intermittent belt squeak. I put some belt dressing on it and it got worse. I then washed the belt dressing off with a degreaser type of cleaner and the squeek went away at idle but was real bad while driving. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the belt. The service manager said that the part number on the belt had changed so they must be making it out of a newer (different) compound than the original belt.........hope this helps you!

Old 02-15-2009, 08:18 AM

Thanks bud, but I'm afraid my problem has been exacerbated by my need to fix it;

Last night I sprayed Simple Green on the pulley assembly in an attempt to degrease the WD40, I'm afraid I may have degreased the ball bearings in the PS pump as there was a loud metaly noise that came from that side of the motor and I recall spraying liberal amounts of spray on it.

This morning I did as everyone suggested, took the belt off, washed it in simple green and dish soap. Let it dry, washed all the pulleys and dried them down, I even sprayed white grease on the front and back side of the PS pulley.

Initial start up sounded great, no noise no nothing, about 1 minute in the noise came back, emanating from the PS area of the motor. I think I'm going to take her to the local mechanic tomorrow and let them trouble shoot it. Hopefully they can repack the bearings or something. If not I guess I'll have her towed the 70 miles to London (especially since one pound costs $1.50, that's right, I get to pay 1.5x more to fix my truck). I forgot to add I started the car with no belt on it and it made no noise at all.

This has been one heck of a learning experiance and I'm sure it's not over. Stayed tuned.

Jesse

PS Thanks to everyone for your help. I REALLY REALLY wish I was back in the states where I could drive 15 minutes and get her fixed or hell even be able to get a simple belt at the local auto parts place.