PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Noise and looseness from the fan/water pump pulley. Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Default Noise and looseness from the fan/water pump pulley. Help

Hi guys,
My H3 is making a noise coming from the drive belt, fan, or water pump pulley. There is also some looseness in the fan, so I'm thinking the water pump needs replacement. Question 1> Do I need to replace the pulley when replacing the water pump? Do I need to replace the drive belt to eliminate the noise as well? anyone having the same issues with the H3? Thanks

Old 07-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

The pulley should not need to be replaced. It can be removed pretty easy and quick with a fan clutch wrench you can rent from a parts store chain for free.
to drain the radiator you remove the lower hose and drain it into a bucket. Round hose clamp pliers make that fast and easy as well.
Name:  DSCN0121.jpg
Views: 3382
Size:  92.6 KB

Belts are about $30.00, you can swap out the pump and then see if the belt is noise free. Inspect the belt in case it has been slipping a lot or got chewed up.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:54 AM

Thank you Doc, I have ordered a new pump and a new belt already. You think is necessary to replace the fan clutch as well? Thanks

Old 07-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

I have run across a bad fan clutch, it was on a '71 Vette a few years back, but any part can potentially go bad.

If you did not have any temp issues before the water pump breaking down, and you don't think the fan was running all the time (you can definitely hear it), then I would not mess with replacing the fan clutch. You do have to remove it to get to the pulley so give it a good inspection once it is off.

Now, if it were me, I would be installing a PCMforless Efan conversion while you have it all apart up front anyway.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:11 AM

your belt might have coolant on it which would cause it to make noise as well. you might be able to clean and adjust it to make it go away.

I have the same thing going on as well and it didn't occur till the dealership swapped out my radiator and water pump. i had coolant all over the area from the cracked rad which they probably half assed cleaned up.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
I have run across a bad fan clutch, it was on a '71 Vette a few years back, but any part can potentially go bad.

If you did not have any temp issues before the water pump breaking down, and you don't think the fan was running all the time (you can definitely hear it), then I would not mess with replacing the fan clutch. You do have to remove it to get to the pulley so give it a good inspection once it is off.

Now, if it were me, I would be installing a PCMforless Efan conversion while you have it all apart up front anyway.
A pcmforless conversion? Tell me more about that...please.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:48 AM

Never mind doc, I just did a quick research on that topic. Thanks

Old 07-27-2012, 07:34 PM

I've seen the conversion for the fan, it is a pretty cool setup

Old 09-09-2012, 06:51 PM

I am having the same exact problem, mine occured after mudding one weekend I have replaced bother idler pulleys, fan clutch and the alternater. I am doing the water pump next, everything from the idler pulleys down in the motor compartment was under water any idea what else could be causing all the rattleing?

Old 09-10-2012, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by kirkthms
I am having the same exact problem, mine occured after mudding one weekend I have replaced bother idler pulleys, fan clutch and the alternater. I am doing the water pump next, everything from the idler pulleys down in the motor compartment was under water any idea what else could be causing all the rattleing?
you have to replace your water pump brother, and problem solved.

Quick Reply: Noise and looseness from the fan/water pump pulley. Help