PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Portable Air Pumps

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Default RE: Portable Air Pumps

ORIGINAL: Gunner_45

Hey Hunner, nice set-up.....

(maybe one day for me...for now I'll just have to covet yours)

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of battery/alternator setup are you running?

Seems like I saw a post from you a while back regarding that topic...but I'm old and cant remember?

My favorite update for sailboats that use lots of battery capacity is Exides AGM. Lots better than the old gel cells. These will handle higher charge voltage. They are deep cycle and will work submerged. Trust me I have seen this happen! They have convenient terminals with wing nuts and real posts! I have been using two in my Cummins diesel to test the automotive use. They have worked great now for three years even in cold cranking. I have five on my boat. Three on the main bank and two back up. The only way I see to put two in the H3 is to relocate the air filter.
I have been concerned about the wimpy way to connect winch power cables to the existing battery. This will work lots better. More amps/more power woo woo waugh. I found that cool air scoop to the battery box, which has no outlet for air, works great for scooping in water and bugs and other interesting debri. It also works great to run your winch cables thru! and with no box to collect "stuff"
I moved up to the new Dual Force Power Plant and decided it was time to clean all that up. I had the 9500 ti and loved it. This is based on the same winch but with the compressor. I plan to add the 2.5 weenie tank and mount it where my muffler was. It works great for airing up tires but will have to have the tank to run an impact.
Delco cca@0F 690
Exide cca@0F 750
More practical rating in Arkansas Exide MCA Marine @32F 935

Delco Load Test 340
Exide 370

These things have a lot of capacity and will revive from deep discharge much better than auto cranking batteries. (like uhhh winching)
For those times you flooded out or would like to winch out of the mud with a dead engine to fix it. Sh*#$ happens!! Running lots of lights and the XM.[/align]
Attachments

Brother in law hasan alternator shop. We have checked the stock one foroutput and seems to be adequate for lots of lights. I still want two batteries but would have to move the air intake somehow.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1095/B40FF25F97474AFA8CDC5E2CB53974B4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-14-2007, 05:36 PM

I bought one of those 4 Wheel Trail guides for Utah this past spring for our pilgrimage to Moab in May.

The author warned about buying small (cheap) compressors for one specific reason and that was if you're on unimproved or uneven terrian and there is a lot of weight on a flat tire those small cheap compressors won't cut it.

It made sense to me but I haven't purchased one nor have I researched it any further. I suppose if you're on a flat parking lot or road it's not too difficult to air up a mounted tire after dropping pressure for sand or rock climbing.

His point was you may find yourself in a jam if you do a lot of Wheelin out in the bush and get into trouble and you can't jack it up and change a spare tire due to the terrian or angle of the truck on the terrian and you find yourself needing to patch a tire and air it up to continue.

Just thought I'd interject that in this discussion. I've had some of those cheesy 12v compressors that will barely inflate a pool float in 20 minutes... The guy that wrote the book said the high quality compressors are around $200 that will air up a big Hummer tire with the extra weight on it from uneven terrian .

I kinda like the tank idea and I love the systems that deflate all 4 or 8 tires equally and at the same time, also use the same system to air up all tires evenly. I saw one guy using the system on TV, they were running the Baja and it was really slick.

I guess you have to reset the computer when you change air pressures too, I assume you'll get the warning as soon as you start dropping pressure?

Old 08-14-2007, 08:10 PM

Gunner: Thanks for the info.

I'm with ya on the dual battery setup. I had 2 950's on an old ford project truck and loved the set up.
It was always so nice to know that youhad an isolated, fully charged backup.
I've only seen one person running multiple batteries on a H3. He was usingGel Cells that
he had remotely mounted in a custom rear storage locker....Looked pretty good actually.

Hummer Driver: Ha.....I have accumulated 3 or 4 of those cheapies over the years and they ARE good on
flat pavement ONLY. I had to resort to jacking up the truck and waiting 30 minutes for the tire to air up.
But, having said that.....Those stupid cheapies have gotten me out of jams before. In some cases they are
better than nothing.

Knock on wood, I haven't had to rely on one in the H3 yet.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:50 PM

Well I started this thread and I would like to finish it with a thank you for all the reply's. I ended up getting the one that Fireman posted from Pep Boy's"Tsunami MF1050Not $24.99 anymore, ended up paying $54.99 with a $10.00 dollar rebate to send in. High Quality I will try out over the weekend, link below.
Thanks,
SteveO

http://www.gearinstalls.com/pepboys.htm

Old 09-26-2007, 01:08 PM

In my old rig 99 Durango with 33's I used my ryobi inflator and it worked great!
http://www.oneplustools.com/special/p730

I know some you you will laugh but this baby would pump up all four tires and my other floating toys for the boat on on charge. I just threw it in with my camping chit!

Old 09-26-2007, 01:21 PM

Whatever you do, spend the money.. I bought a cheap one (10.99) it currently takes 2.4 months to air up all four...

Buying a new one!

Old 09-27-2007, 12:06 AM

I currently have the new ARB compressor (pictured right) mounted in my engine bay. Runs both airlockers and had no problem reinflating my 35"

The specs are current draw at
0 KPA/PSI : 13 AMP
200 KPA/29PSI : 22.9 AMP

Flow Rate (under load)
at 200 KPA : 61.6 litres / minutes
at 29 PSI : 2.18 cubic feet / minute

Old 09-27-2007, 05:58 AM

ORIGINAL: SteveO

Well I started this thread and I would like to finish it with a thank you for all the reply's. I ended up getting the one that Fireman posted from Pep Boy's"Tsunami MF1050Not $24.99 anymore, ended up paying $54.99 with a $10.00 dollar rebate to send in. High Quality I will try out over the weekend, link below.
Thanks,
SteveO

http://www.gearinstalls.com/pepboys.htm

I picked one up last week from Costco for $49. I was planing on putting together a CO2 setup and just grabed this to give it a shot. I've seen ones for 4X the price that couldn't keep up with this one.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Camou2

I don't think you will ever find a 12 volt compressor that will inflate your tires satisfactorilyunless a 2 beer air up is o.k. Look at a CO2 tank option. I have a 20 lb Power Tank. I use Staun air deflators to lower the pressure in my H2 to 24 lbs and my H3 to 20 lbs. The Power Tank will air up all 8 wheels in less than 10 minutes.

There are cheaper tanks on the market than the Power Tank but like everything else it is the best.
It took you 10 minutes because everyone wanted to see it.... I saw that tank in action and it is impressive.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:49 PM

ORIGINAL: skeeet

Costco sells one for $50 that attachs directly to the battery and will air up a 35 inch tire in about 3 minutes if I recall correctly. It is a heavy duty unit with finned aluminum cylinder head. You might see it on their website www.costco.com and do a search for tire inflater.
This is the one that I bought. I think it's called a MasterFlow. I changed the aligator clips to a 7-way trailer plugand it works great!

Quick Reply: Portable Air Pumps