PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Plastidip help... what did I do wrong??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Default Plastidip help... what did I do wrong??

So, I plastidipped my grille a few weeks ago and I was so happy with the results. It looked great and seemed very durable. However, after only 1.5-2 weeks, I noticed it had peeled and torn off of one side of the grille... then I noticed it was delaminating at the top edge and in every grille opening as well.

What did I do wrong? Do I need to sand first? Do I need to include the backside as part of the coat so there is no edge?

I'm including pics to help with diagnosis.

TIA,
KJ

Attached Thumbnails Plastidip help... what did I do wrong??-photo-1-2-.jpg   Plastidip help... what did I do wrong??-photo-2-2-.jpg   Plastidip help... what did I do wrong??-photo-3-2-.jpg  
Old 12-21-2013, 09:06 PM

By the way, in the "after" picture (before the peeling), it looks like there are bubbles/spots on the grille but there were not. That's just a trick of the lighting somehow. It was sunny for like a week or more after the application (albeit very cold, maybe 15 degrees F).

Old 12-21-2013, 09:44 PM

thanks, I havent done it but want to try it. must be the prep huh??
oops!, 15 I think is too cold,??

did you use a cleaner? something come with it?

Last edited by happythree; 12-21-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by KingJoseph
By the way, in the "after" picture (before the peeling), it looks like there are bubbles/spots on the grille but there were not. That's just a trick of the lighting somehow. It was sunny for like a week or more after the application (albeit very cold, maybe 15 degrees F).
That is where you went wrong, to cold. Spray both sides, and item must be clean of all oil and dirt.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:23 AM

it looks like you had either oil or major temp flex during or immediately after spraying. Make sure you clean very well, no oil what so ever, just in case you used a tar and bug cleaner or polish in the past. I'd suggest going to autozone or similar and buy some stuff called "prep-all" or similar, it'll be by the auto body stuff and do a good cleaning with that, then make sure you have the grill at at least 70 degrees and it has been that way for a little time, thn spray in low humidity, let dry and redcoat a few more times, then let it fully dry a few hours before driving or exposing to any major temp changes.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:24 AM

oh and also make sure you start with a light dust coat and gradually build, don't go for full coverage on one coat.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by staggs
oh and also make sure you start with a light dust coat and gradually build, don't go for full coverage on one coat.
Agree, you need to do multiple LIGHT coats.
I've plastidipped many things with great results.

Also DO NOT sand the grill. Plastidip is made to be able to be removed later if you change your mind, without damaging the base paint or plating.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:26 PM

Thanks all for the help.

I think it was maybe about 18 degrees when I applied it, but it warmed back up into the 30s-40s in the week or two following.

We cleaned the hell out of the grille with glass cleaner until it was totally free of any visible dirt, bugs, etc.

Any comments on driving around with the grille off? Any reason this is a bad idea? Sounds like I should let it dry inside since 40 is the high around here for the next few months.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:56 PM

m thinking you got low temp an questionable prep juice.
you need a pre-paint cleaner and warm temps huh.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:43 PM

Let me ask a question. Did you like the grill black? If so considering you already had an issue with the dip then just take it off, sand the thing to stuff it and paint it with something more permanent. I dipped my wheels and fuel door. After a while it faded and started looking horrible. I peeled all that crap off, prepped everything and painted them all low gloss black engine enamel. The fuel door I did with VHT black crinkle coat.

Plasti Dip is great if you want to see how something looks. It may even last a while but at some point you'll be ripping the junk off and doing something permanent.

Quick Reply: Plastidip help... what did I do wrong??