PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinch Seam?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Question Pinch Seam?

Good to hear no one was hurt. That is a heck of an advertisement for sliders

Thanks! I'm glad no one was injured either!

Quote: Originally Posted by Bunger Think pretty nerf bars would survive that ?

Prob. not! Plus they would have pushed the car up into the door instead of under the HUMMER.

As far as frame damage: NONE! The Sliders DID bend up into the pinch seam under the door sill and absorbed a lot of energy. They will be replaced.
END QUOTE

what is this pinch seam, and why are the RR sliders not as protective of it as are the RD bashers? Tainter, did your wreck damage the pinch seam? It loked like the paint on the door was scratched

Old 02-13-2012, 10:37 PM

Am I lost, again or did this get posted in it's own thread? Where are the previous ones?
I added these to my RR back in 06, novel idea huh?
Name:  3031_resize.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  83.5 KB
Name:  _DSC3040_resize.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  49.9 KB
Name:  _DSC3039_resize.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  39.0 KB
Name:  s7182_resize.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  105.8 KB

Old 02-13-2012, 11:04 PM

I am vey lost also. I think he is quoting my accident thread but didn't copy it as a quote???

Anyway, their was no damage to the pinch seam on the passenger side (point of the impact). The actual mounting cross bars would bend and push up into the pinch seam on really really hard inpacts on some RR H3T sliderz.

If you do not have rock rails or "nurse" bars take a look under your H3 and look for a point just under the lower door sill trim where you can see the metal comes to a point. That is the pinch seam. I'll try to find a picture for ya.

Found one: This is a cut away of what the pinch seam is composed of on the H3/H3T. There is a whole lot of metal meating metal right there!

Name:  120420103152.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  108.5 KB

Last edited by TAINTER; 02-13-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:28 AM

No, no, neither of you are lost... I was trying to quote a post from Tainter's wreck thread while using an Android tablet, and it didn't work so well...

Anyway, I was just curious what part of the slider would actually bend up far enough to cause body damage, and what exactly a pinch seam is. Thanks to Tainter I now know what a pinch seam is, and that the crossmembers are what will cause damage to this seam. So it appears that welding a 1/4" bar across the crossmembers mitigates this risk?

Thanks, and again, sorry for the confusion (guess I'll use the pc from here on out ;-) )