PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Onstar going crazy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 03:18 PM

I also don't have "On Star" subscribtion, should have run out years ago. Mine is a 06 and it came with a one year free subscribtion. I can still push the button on the mirror or the button on the left hand side by my light controls and the lady will come on and say " On Star, may I help you " I always push the button back off again before going any further. I'm just guessing but maybe its a charge for service type thing. In other words. If I do need it, use it, they send me a bill??

Old 01-18-2010, 08:04 PM

Does anyone hear use the On Star system?

Going to google it and find out more information. I don't want it but a free year comes with the sale I am going for.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:02 PM

Hi Bob, i've checked under my seats and it looks as though everthing is confined (wires and such) very well. nothing sticking out funny or anything. So hoping it's a fuse. Will check on my next day off, since it gets dark at 4:30ish, and dark before I leave. I PRAY it's just the fuse!!!

Scared to buy, I havn't had a problem since!!! No more bunny. hehe. Even if you don't have onstar, you can hit the onstar button on the mirror, or the button by the headlights, she will talk. But I don't think it will really connect to anybody since I don't pay for it. But she's definently there!!! It is kind of crazy to think that someone is kind of controlling your car, and could just shut it off!!! SCARY!!! thanks for putting that in my head!!

Old 01-19-2010, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by scared2buy
Does anyone hear use the On Star system?

Going to google it and find out more information. I don't want it but a free year comes with the sale I am going for.
I do subscribe to OnStar, but it's definitely a matter of preference. When I got hurt about 2 years ago, well off the beaten track it sure was nice to hit that button and have the nice OnStar operator coordinate getting EMS to me. Also was real handy the day a mini-van rolled over directly in front of me on an interstate ramp. Those folks do a great job. Also was real useful as a cell phone the day we needed to call the bus driver to pick up 30 Sea Cadets from a Wildlife Management Area and none of the normal cell phones was working. It has a lot more power than a handheld.

Having said all of that, you have to decide for yourself whether it's for you. With respect to the "remote control" function, I suspect that OnStar has some really tight controls on who can activate that function and when. To the best of my knowledge it has only been used to date on vehicles reported to OnStar as stolen by an authenticated user. Disaffected spouse or XGF might be able to make some trouble though.

If you plan to use your H3 as a getaway vehicle (because no one will notice it or be able to describe it to the authorities) then an OnStar subsription might not be a really good idea. Mind you I wouldn't be surprised if OnStar could hit the "slow down" even if you weren't subscribed - assuming the possibility occured to the police and they know the number to call.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:42 AM

the slow down & ignition lockout feature is only on some models the H3 isn't one of them but it is on new H2's, we only have gps location to find a stolen car which onstar will give only to the police & only after the vehicle is reported stolen.
The onstar system is always active, unless it's unplugged or the fuse is pulled, so you can use it to subscribe to or renew the service. If you don't have a current account you won't get any of the features you can only connect to onstar customer service.

Last edited by JGBB04; 01-19-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:27 PM

My '06 H-3 did the same thing for about 4 days....
And it was directly after it poured rain here sideways for 24 hours....
It was definetly water that did it, I called the dealer and they said "bring it in and we'll find the leak" but by the time I could be without the truck, it had dried out and the problem went away.....

No Lie.....

Old 01-19-2010, 01:28 PM

I have the On Star turned on in my H2 and my wifes Cadillac. Now I wouldn't drive without it. It's very handy.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by calif phil
I have the On Star turned on in my H2 and my wifes Cadillac. Now I wouldn't drive without it. It's very handy.
I've had OnStar on my last 3 cars and always kept them activated. A bit like insurance IMO.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the information about On Star. I wonder if my car insurance would be lower because of this feature? Will call and find out. I have been driving a 1991 Mercedes SEL for the past 12 years and it is a great car but it does not have any of the features of today's autos. It does not have a CD player! So I am not used to these GPS/On Star extras.

When I looked at the On Star site I believe it quoted $300 a year to subscribe?

Intresting about the cell phone issue and being able to use On Star.

Appreciate the input.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by scared2buy
Thanks for the information about On Star. I wonder if my car insurance would be lower because of this feature? Will call and find out. I have been driving a 1991 Mercedes SEL for the past 12 years and it is a great car but it does not have any of the features of today's autos. It does not have a CD player! So I am not used to these GPS/On Star extras.

When I looked at the On Star site I believe it quoted $300 a year to subscribe?

Intresting about the cell phone issue and being able to use On Star.

Appreciate the input.
State Farm rewards active members of OnStar.

Quick Reply: Onstar going crazy!!!