PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

oil question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Default oil question

I had my oil changed this morning and the service manager said that since I typically go past (just a little [sm=smiley22.gif]) 3000 miles, I should switch to synthetic oil. I trusted his judgment, of course, because I unlike a lot of the girls here, don’t have a clue!! Don’t really care to learn either … I leave that kinda stuff for the boys![sm=smiley20.gif] I can’t get my Dad on the phone, who’d be able to answer me. Sssoooo … did I do the right thing? Can it hurt to go from regular oil to synthetic? Is synthetic better? Am I gonna sore like the wind now?

And I know there’s a discussion somewhere on here about oil, but I can’t find it. So, don’t beat me up for starting a new oil topic! [8D]

Old 12-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Default RE: oil question

Regular oil is fine if you change it on or close to the time it's due. I'm still not sure the gains of synth. are worth the extra cost. In some ways it can be, if you run more miles between changes, then it works out. I prefer to change mine when it's due. So, to date, I have always just used the regular stuff. If I ran synth, I would still want to change it at the same mileage, and that would just cost more over the long run.

It's really a 6 in one hand, half dozen in the other, type of deal. I know that I'm going to change mine when it's due, so I am perfectly comfortable running the old stuff, since it's cheaper, and I know it will hold up for the time it will be needed. If you're the type of person who lets it go over by a bit, then it might be better to run synth. But if you're on or close to the due date, run the old.

Old 12-07-2006, 04:11 PM

OK, well at least I'm not worried about it. After I got to work I starting thinking about it. I get the oil changes free and only had to pay the $6 for the oil upgrade so the cost wasn't a problem. I was only over about 750 miles, it's hard for me to get to the dealer, their an hour away. [&:]

Thanks Fireman!!

Old 12-07-2006, 04:20 PM

Did you get a service contract with your purchase? I bought one and it has the oil changed every 3750 as well, and I think it comes with the synthetic oil, or so my service manager told me.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:58 PM

Hell I haven't changed oil in my jeep in over 30,000 miles now...and it's a mixture of synthetic,regular, whatever 7-11 had at 3 am when I needed it

Old 12-07-2006, 07:03 PM

Import, I want to seem more of that new video clip you added. She's HOT!!![sm=drooldude.gif][sm=Awwww.gif][sm=drooldude.gif][sm=drooldude.gif][sm=pimp.gif]

Old 12-07-2006, 09:01 PM

I hear ya...I've been trying to find a pause on that clip for weeks now

Old 12-07-2006, 09:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Linus Gump

Did you get a service contract with your purchase? I bought one and it has the oil changed every 3750 as well, and I think it comes with the synthetic oil, or so my service manager told me.
No, I didn't. I didn't think even going 5000 miles was bad. But, what do I know ?? [sm=rolleyes.gif]

Old 12-08-2006, 12:20 AM

Paige Sweetie..You can ask anything you want...I will always be more than happy to repeat an old topic for you..[sm=smiley9.gif]

Anyways my love..I for one endorse the use of Synthetic engine oil..You will better off in the long run...believe me...But now that you use it, you really should never go back to conventional oils, it will mess with the chemistry of the engine...I can't explain it too clearly what exactly happens, but it will have an adverse affect on the engine seals.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:44 AM

ORIGINAL: TigerLily

OK, well at least I'm not worried about it. After I got to work I starting thinking about it. I get the oil changes free and only had to pay the $6 for the oil upgrade so the cost wasn't a problem. I was only over about 750 miles, it's hard for me to get to the dealer, their an hour away. [&:]

Thanks Fireman!!
You're more than welcome.

If you get it for 6 bucks, then I say, run it.

Quick Reply: oil question