PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd ticking sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by BlackH3TX
I had the same sound on my H3. I took to the dealer, the technician rode with me and heard the ticking just as you described and he couldnt figure it out. They jack it up and look around and decide that my skid plate is missing 3 bolts and that was the source of the noise. They call me and tell me it's fixed I go pick it up and drive off in it and the ticking noise is still there, I drive back and tell them it is not fixed and I am not satisfied. They keep it another day and send me home in a loaner. Finally they call me the next day and tell me it was the drive shaft and it was coming apart at the transfer case..turns out that was the problem and no more noise for me. I did ask them if eventually it would've broke all the way and they said yes, so you might wanna get that checked out soon and rule out the driveshaft.

So what did they end up changing, or doing? Did it just need to be fixed back to the transfer case? I'm asking because I'm not taking my hummer to the dealer to charge me 1500$ for a 500$ job. I'd rather just do it myself. Let me know please. Thank you!

-Stavros

Old 09-28-2009, 02:58 AM

Bump.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:42 PM

I have never noticed this ticking sound, but it appears to be a problem that is not unique to Hummer.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:34 PM

I had the same problem and posted my fix in another thread. I went under the truck and tapped everything I could find to replicate the noise. Mine sounded like a high pitched rattle under acceleration and then abruptly ended when the revs got above a certain point.

I found the source! There is a small skid plate under the front passenger side that protects the transfer case. if you tap this plate it will resonate for a long time. I sprayed the side facing the undercarriage with some rubberized undercoating and also added a few lengths of foam weatherstrip where the plate meets the cross member.

The dampens the vibrations of the skid plate and I have had no rattle under acceleration since.

Easy fix and takes about 2 minutes to drop the skid plate. (3 bolts).

Hope this helps.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:05 PM

I will check the skid plate this weekend, but I don't think that it is the problem. I think it's the issue I quoted above on the driveshaft coming apart from the transfer case because between 10 to 50 mph the ticking seems to get louder and faster at the 50 mph mark until finally not ticking anymore.

When I am at idle at a light, and I rev my engine, I don't hear anything at all.