PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

an odd thing happened to me tonight

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 03:58 AM
Default an odd thing happened to me tonight

first off, I haven't gotten my h3 to the dealer yet to check out my horrible fuel mileage but this happened to me tonight and it made me wonder.

I was coming out of home depot and pulled to a red light, next to me was a red h3 with dual exhaust and was also a base with stock rims/tires. My windows were down as was his and we had a quick conversation and he claimed how his h3 had a cat back system,K&N intake kit and was much faster than a stock one and he was getting 16-17 mpg. I asked him to nail it when the light turned green and see how much quicker his h3 was than stock. light turned green and we both gunned it. I DESTROYED HIM...the next light is 1/2 mile away and I was a good 10 car lengths ahead of him. He pulled next to me at the next light and asked if I had a supercharger or something cause he was to the floor the whole way and I was pulling from him. This made me go hmmmmm. I am now wondering if my h3 was messed up when it was tuned or flashed and has made me suffer bad MPG but also made me quicker than most. Honestly I never felt my 3 was a dog or underpowered in any way, and it always made me wonder when I read people complaining about power. Now I wonder if I should even bring it to the dealer.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Default RE: an odd thing happened to me tonight

Tough call. That's weird, but more gas=more power. Did the H3 come with different gearing?
To be sure, strap it on a dyno.............You don't want to go to the dealer and come out with a dog.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:43 AM

I agree, that is a quandary...Man, I'd think twice now about having the dealer reflash it..It runs and idles smooth right?

Old 09-06-2006, 12:34 PM

wow, thats really weird.... really really weird...

do you know anybody with an H3 that is close to you to try it again? maybe a dealer would let you test drive the new 07, then have somebody you know waiting in your h3 & see if the result is the same?

Old 09-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

You bought it used or with some miles on it right? Maybe somebody bought it and returned it after they flashed it. They may have used it as a Guinea Pig like that one guy used Dennis (sorry buddy). It's a possibility. You might actually have a rare gem. If I was you, and didn't mind the sucky gas mileage, I would supe that baby up like there was no tomorrow! That is awsome and disturbing at the same time.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:46 PM

I bought it brand new, just rolled off the car carrier from gm actually. I watched em roll it back off the carrier, it was like watching my son being born all over again...well minus the disgusting stuff

Dennis, yes the truck idles smooth and runs like a dream, if it weren't for reading the mpg numbers posted here I would have thought my 3 was normal.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

So what do you think you are going to do?

Don't try the 93 octane. Besides giving you a wee bit more power (which you apparently already have), it will do nothing but make you spend more money on gas. It didn't do anything for me. I switched back to 87 permanently.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:12 PM

My dually got 3.5 mpg so the mileage isn't really a problem for me. I'd love to get 16-18 like everyone else but not willing to sacrifice power to get it. I think I will keep it as it is for now.

question for you guys, on wet roads if you turn traction control off, can you spin the tires? I tried it last night and got them to spin for a few seconds before they grabbed.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:01 PM

Hasn't been wet here enough to try that...But I will next time it rains (whenever that will be)

Old 09-06-2006, 05:11 PM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

My dually got 3.5 mpg so the mileage isn't really a problem for me. I'd love to get 16-18 like everyone else but not willing to sacrifice power to get it. I think I will keep it as it is for now.

question for you guys, on wet roads if you turn traction control off, can you spin the tires? I tried it last night and got them to spin for a few seconds before they grabbed.
jeebus, I am laughing here imagining my slow *** truck doing that!!

btw, do you have the 5 speed? did you dump the clutch? I used to be able to spin all 4 off the line in my TT when it was wet out[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Quick Reply: an odd thing happened to me tonight