PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

No roof rack for you....

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 07:08 AM

I would say it depends what you plan to put on the roof, for me the lights were the only thing so the ebay ones worked, I guess buyer beware

Old 08-26-2011, 09:26 PM

I found these on Amazon. Price 155.00.
Just need to know if these are the best looking for my H3 and if they are the real deal? Said it would work on the 2010 Alpha. I have no idea about this stuff...This is not my H3 just a photo of the one on Amazon.

Thanks for any advice

Old 08-26-2011, 10:02 PM

I guess there could be more versions of these but there was a guy on one of the forums that worked where the OEM were made. After a period of time they were allowed to resell to other distributors except for the Hummer trademark, so they did the stick on letter option for those.
I have had a set of the aftermarket that are aluminum just like the OEM and compared both types of ends. They look the same to me but both kinds need a washer under the spring on the slider that goes in the rail to fit tighter and have to be on an area of the track that it is not recessed. I have the same set on my 08 Alpha that I had on my 06 H3.
Name:  7046.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  25.2 KB
My aftermarket sourced units seem to be holding up well. I guess because I never overload them and then go offroad.
Name:  DAH_8665sh.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  125.7 KB
Two Cooper 315's on Hutchinson Beadlocks
Name:  DAH_8341.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  81.8 KB
Name:  9118a-1.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  185.9 KB
Name:  8707sh.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  165.3 KB
Name:  5x8977.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  67.0 KB

Last edited by Hunner; 08-26-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by scared2buy

I found these on Amazon. Price 155.00.
Just need to know if these are the best looking for my H3 and if they are the real deal? I have no idea about this stuff...

Thanks for any advice
I thought the post I provided you gave SPECIFIC detail as to how to determine the 'real deal' from the aftermarkets. By now you should 'have some idea about this stuff'

Old 08-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

I'd buy anything Hunner recommends.... he uses his stuff and if he says it holds up then you can safely bet it will work for you....

I say that because he has a proven track record for honesty.... I had a conversation with a couple guys that had issues with the Hunner skids.... even though the guys made them work Hunner still sent out partial refunds, and sent out replacement parts.... that type of pride in workmanship and customer service has been lost in America...

Old 08-27-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
That's where the similarity ends. As Airborne said, you get what you pay for. When I decided to get a set, the e-bay version looked like the way to go until I did some research. The OEM cross bars are thick, extruded aluminum that are rated at 250lb. capacity, where the aftermarket cross bars are thin, formed stainless steel rated at 150lb. capacity. The aftermarkets reviews had a lot of complaints about the cheap keys 'bending' and the release arms snapping off. The way you can visually tell the difference is the OEM's have the word HUMMER molded into the end caps, where the aftermarkets have molded in squares, and they give you a set of stainless steel letters to stick on (by the way, these letters fit perfectly into the letter recesses if you wanted to purchase a set and add to OEM bars). Also, the aftermarkets will advertise 'OEM style', with 'style' being the key word in fooling you into thinking you're getting a genuine HUMMER part. Bottom line is, if you're just getting them for show, then the aftermarkets will work just fine, but if you want them to function satisfactorily, then stick with the OEM's. True, the OEM's cost 3 to 4 times what the e-bay versions are going for, but if you shop around, you can find some deals. I got mine off Craigslist, like new, for $90!

I know...and thank you Halo...but..how do I tell from a photograph the OEM and the aftermarket? Sorry. This stuff is confusing. I want the thicker stronger cross bars. If I am driving you crazy...sorry in advance!! : )

Wow. Hunner nice photos!! Thank you for the information. Thanks also Mudd.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:56 AM

I finally found and bought the OEM cross bars in black. The directions were hard to follow so I reread the posts here and within a few minutes the bars were attached and look great.

I had also bought the extra washers as hunner pointed out. The cross bars fit really tight.

Still loving my H3.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:25 AM

Name:  DAH_8665sh.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  125.7 KB

Where do I find one of these spare tire racks??

Thanks!

Old 02-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kshummer
Where do I find one of these spare tire racks??

Thanks!
You won't. Custom made by CB (MIHummer over at X)

Here is the reading material if you'd like. Hummer X Forum • View topic - H3 Rear Tire Rack

Old 02-03-2012, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
You won't. Custom made by CB (MIHummer over at X)

Here is the reading material if you'd like. Hummer X Forum • View topic - H3 Rear Tire Rack

Thanks again Doc!!

Quick Reply: No roof rack for you....