PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitto Trail Grapplers Reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Default Nitto Trail Grapplers Reviews?

Hello fellow Hummer owners. After 49,9xx the original Duelers on my 07 Adv Pkg are ready to be replaced. The tire thread looks to be at 30-40% but you can see stress cracks between the lugs and one tire has a dangerous scratch to a side wall. I have researched the popular 315 options and had narrowed my list to 3:
1) Toyo Open Country
2) BFG KM2
3) Nitto Trail Grapplers
I have owned Toyos prior and the rubber is super soft and wear quickly especially during towing.
I road a truck on KM2s and it sounds super lound clacking sounds of lugs pounding payment. They are 10 ply made in USA and seems to wear good but are at number 3 on my list.
Now im left with the Nitto Trail Grappler. Nitto reports the 315/75r16 as being a new size and seems to have a lot of the things im looking for(10 ply, aggressive side wall, great looking mild thread) only problem is I have only seen a few trucks with these and have never heard from first hand account the experience ppl have had with this tire. So I am hopeing to gey some info on the tire from owners. How loud are they, how do they wear, how do they behave while towing? Any and all info is welcomed.

Thanks in advanced

Old 10-25-2012, 08:22 PM

I have the nitto mud grapplers on mine. Ik not what you're looking for but as for the nitto brand they are a good tire. I have a buddy with a h3 who has 70000 miles on his. They're very low by now but they wear even and handle great in wet and dry and towing conditions. I hope my experience with nitto helps with your decision. Good luck. Also look at gpcaleros thread and he put trail grapplers m/ts on his. Seems like he likes them so far.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Old Yeller
I have the nitto mud grapplers on mine. Ik not what you're looking for but as for the nitto brand they are a good tire. I have a buddy with a h3 who has 70000 miles on his. They're very low by now but they wear even and handle great in wet and dry and towing conditions. I hope my experience with nitto helps with your decision. Good luck. Also look at gpcaleros thread and he put trail grapplers m/ts on his. Seems like he likes them so far.
Thanks for the reply. I am mostly concerned with towing as we tow our boat and trailer with our Hummer. I ruled out the Duratracs after reading of the soft sidewall and tire wondering while towing. Thanks for the info

Old 10-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Thumbs up

Nitto's are a GREAT tire. You'll get some grief from the good ol' boys on here because it's a Japanese company though.....

Old 10-26-2012, 04:40 AM

I just bought these Kelly TSR's. Look great. They ride good on pavement and are not loud at all. Going to test the offroad Nov 10

Name:  DSCN1010.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  331.8 KB
Name:  DSCN1009.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  218.7 KB
Name:  DSCN1006.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  192.9 KB
Name:  DSCN1004.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  338.1 KB

Old 10-26-2012, 05:06 AM

Only problem with Kellys is that its a rebranded Goodyear Duratrac. I agree they look awsome but the reviews I have found are that the tire have a soft sidewall which causes them to wonder during towing.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:18 AM

I have the Trail Grapplers and I think they are great. I haven't towed anything with them yet but they are pretty quiet on the road for such an aggressive tread.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:22 AM

+1 I agree with the above posts.. I also have Trail Grappler's and there awesome! ..They have a very aggressive look and the drivability is fantastic.. Unfortunately I can't comment on there ability when it comes to towing as I have not towed anything yet, but I can imagine they will get the job done pretty well

Matt

Old 10-26-2012, 07:08 PM

I disagree with Kelly being duratracs. The tread patern isn't the same. I have the duratracs on mine and love them. I asked for ten ply and got them but dealer damaged them and they replaced with six ply. I was furious at the least. But alot of industrial vehicles around here that haul heavy loads in two ton and three ton trucks have them with ten ply so they would hold up good for towing.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:20 PM
rsc

the Kelleys may not look like Duratracs treads, but the carcass is the same or very, very similar. I didnt do any heavy towing with mine on Duratracs, but an 8' utility trailer and about 1000-1200 lbs in it drove very well through the TX hill country on several occasions for me.

Edit to add: I don't think the sidewalls arent stiff enough, I think the tread blocks squirm too much when new- either because of treadblock height or the tread is too soft. With about 10,000 miles on them they stopped squirming in corners and pavement grooves as they wore down or hardened.

Last edited by rsc; 10-28-2012 at 12:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Nitto Trail Grapplers Reviews?