PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

new tires = low tire pressure warning?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:20 AM
Default new tires = low tire pressure warning?

I recently changed out the tires on my '06 H3. I went from the original 265/75/16 to 285/75/16. The fit wasn't a problem. Now about 4 days later, the low tire pressure warning light has come on and stays on. I checked and there is one major difference between these tires and stock. Stock required 45psi, these new tires say 65psi. I checked all 4 tires and they are at 65 still, so I know it isn't a leak.

Is there something in the computer that needs to be changed for these new tires? I had also thought maybe when the change was done they broke one of the sensors? But if that was the case, why would it take 4 days before the light came on?
I actually have an appointment with the service dept. for oil change and such, but figured I'd see if anyone else here who has changed out tires had a similiar issue.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:24 AM
Default RE: new tires = low tire pressure warning?

There is a calibration procedure I think in the Owner's manual....And 40 PSI is enough.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:27 AM

Thanks, Dennis. When I get home tonight I'll RTFM and see if I can set calibration for the new tires.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:34 AM

RTFM

Old 07-25-2007, 10:35 AM

Dude...your gonna blow a tire with that much pressure. I hope your not getting the pressure off the side of the tire. I wouldnt go over 40. I have the stock 33's and I keep em around 37psi, 35 psi is what the door sticker says.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:41 AM

No Matt...the 285's can handle 50 MAX...so 40PSI is ideal.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:51 AM

my pointwas that I wouldnt go over 40 psi for good tire wear, not that the tires couldn't handle it. The recommended pressure for the vehicle using those tires is in the door jam ( mine says 35 psi ). Most people ( not saying you do ) make the mistake of getting the recommended pressure off the tires, which as you said only lists the max.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:54 AM

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Don't know where he got the 65 psi though..[&:]

Old 07-25-2007, 11:22 AM

EVEry tire is different as far as what it wants in air pressure for good tire wear...I don't mean every kind of tire I mean EVERY tire....have 4 tires you will normally have 4 different psi readings for perfect wear. The only way toreally find what each tire wants is to make aline with chalk or a wax pencil from inner part of tire to outer part of tire on the top ofthe treads...then go for a drivearound the block.When you get back note the line, if the entire line is gone then you are at perfect pressure as the entire footprint is making contact. If the outside edges are left and the center is worn then you are overinflated, center left and outside edges worn means you are underinflated. Every tire on your ride will need a different pressure and this process will need to be repeated several times a tire making different pressure changes...make note on paper what each tire needs so that future checks will be easy.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:40 AM

I did get the 65 psi from the side of the tire. Which is also what the tire jockeys inflated them to upon installation. When I get home tonight I'll lower them to between 45 and 50 psi based on comments here. I wasn't sure what was ideal for the 285's.

Quick Reply: new tires = low tire pressure warning?