PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

New Tire Pics X2

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Default New Tire Pics X2

Gunner has been hounding me for pictures of my new tires, so here they are.

Based on Gunners recommendation, along with support from Trey and Muddydawg I got a set of 285/75/16 TrXus MT’s.

That's the last time I take those guys advice! [:@]

On my way home from getting them installed, the truck was pulling hard to the right. Was hard to tell if it was the road or the wind but after trying a few roads in different directions, it was obvious it was the tires.

Iwas having to turn the wheel 10+ degrees to go strait. The road noise wasn't bad, but it was noticeable as was thevibration in the floorboard.

When I took it intwo days latter, the Service Manager said "Swampers do that"..... I'll make some sacrifices for a good off-road tire, but traveling in a strait line is not one of them.

He said there was an 80% chance they could fix it by moving the position of the tires on the vehicle, leaving a 20% chance that I would just have to deal with it.

There moving the tires around made it about 75% better. The pull was still annoying, but almost tolerable. The problem was that I wasn't going to be able to rotate the tires.

Long story short, the Regional Service Manager was helpful and asked if I'd like to try a different style of tire.

Since the the TrXus was actually my second choice, I switched to ProComp Extreme MTs in the same size.

All I can say isI am very impressed with the ProComps.

First off, I can let go of the steering wheel without changing two lanes.

They are just a hair louder than the stock Wranglers and very close to the BFG A/Ts that I just took off my Explorer (the Wranglers are now on the Explorer).

Vibrationcomparison isjust like the sound.

They do feel a little stiffer than the Swampers and the Good Years, but at the same time I haven't checked the air pressure, so that could be an easy fix (not that I would consider it a problem).

On-road, these tires are in two different leagues and the ProComp is better hands down. Granted, I didn't try the Swamper off-road, but the two tires should preform very similar in the dirt.... or mud.

I'll be testing out the ProComps in the dirt next weekend.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Default RE: New Tire Pics X2

Looks GREAT!!!

Very Mean and MEATY!!!

Old 06-04-2008, 05:59 PM

I don't have any problem with not keeping a straight line.&nbsp\\; I didn't even have to get an allignment after installing the tires.&nbsp\\; I bought the 33"s they are quiet and no pulling to one side at all.&nbsp\\; Maybe you just got a bad set of tires?&nbsp\\; Thanks for posting the pictures looks good and once you get them off road you'll see how much easier everything is.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah... you were lied to... if they pull then they screwed the pooch... they didn't balance then correctly...
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
but as long as you are happy...

Old 06-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Both looked good on the truck. Everyone has their own preferences. Glad you wound up with something you like.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:11 PM

I honestly think that the problem with the Swampers was mutiple tires with twisted belts. Both of the service managers I delt with said that having one twisted belt in a set of 4 tires was prety common... It's when you get more than one in a set that you have problems Like I did.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:03 AM

nice lookin tires

Old 06-07-2008, 12:53 AM

Wow, that is a really nice indictment not only of the tires, but also myself and to a lesser degree, Muddy and Trey.
(We are the new axis of evil)............[sm=badbadbad.gif]

I still stand by my recommendation of the Swampers based on my personal experience and first hand knowledge of
other satisfied Swamper owners. Yours are the first I have heard of with that serious of a problem. There are at least
four of us here on this forum that love 'em, with you and your set being the exception.

Guess that old caveat holds true, "Your results may vary".

I hate to hear you had a less than satisfactory experience with your purchase.

Glad to see you got the ProComps you originally wanted.

Regards...

Old 06-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

I got my tires from 4wheelparts... the same place I orginally bought my boggers in 1997.... Trey bought his from the same place...

I still think Steve got screwed and lied to....

Old 06-07-2008, 04:56 PM

The 4wheelparts I've been dealing with doesn't have the best reputation. I called today to make sure they had gotten the spare in soI could get it today. The manager had said it would be here Thursday of this week. I was told they didn't have it and it had just been shipped from Arizona. The manager had said it was on its way from California last week.

At this point I don't trust anything the store says. I'll be talking to the Regional Service Manager Monday morning to see if he can work it out

Quick Reply: New Tire Pics X2