PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Owner - Two Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Default New Owner - Two Questions

Hello to all, I'm a new member as I just got a new to me 2005 H2 Lux series loaded with 32K miles in mint condition. I love it so far, but have two issues though that I am looking for some guidance on.

1. The coolant inthe resorvior isn't the normal orange Dex-Cool color. Rather, it is a thickish looking pink (like pepto bismo) substances. The oil looks fine though. Temperature for both engine (210 deg. F) and transmission (150-180 deg F) seems OK and I have driven it on several trips up to 4 hours each way in 100 degree heat with no overheating. I had the oil changed at a quick lube type place and they said all of the fluids looked fine (except that coolant).

2. The windshield wipers seems to be parked in the down position a little high (may 3 inches) above the bottom of the windshield. Is there an adjustment mechanism or this normal? It doesn't seem right.

Thanks so much!

Old 09-26-2009, 01:16 PM

You probably just need a radiator flush. I would have a reputable shop flush and refill with Dex Cool. I bet someone had the wiper blades off for a windshield replacement or wiper module recall and just put them back on a notch too high. You should be able to pop them off and reposistion them a bit lower. Congrats on the purchase. Your gonna luv it.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:47 PM

If you figure out how to adjust the wipers, let me know. Mine are a little high as well and I know that my windshield was replaced.

Hey, does your dashboard rattle at 45mph and above? Mine does, especially the passenger side.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:48 PM

Question for you...

The windshield wipers...do they over travel when totally "up" and nearly strike the side trim piece? If they over travel at the top and are sitting too high at the bottom, I suspect they were removed for a new windshield and when replaced they were installed a notch or two off.

Wiper arms are usually splined and can be re-installed off a few notches...and if so, it is a simple fix of removing them, notching (indexing) them down a few notches and reinstall...

Old 09-27-2009, 09:53 AM

Thanks for the replies -

1. No rattles (fortunately) on the windshield.

2. Yes, the wipers go beyond "straight up" at their peak and get pretty close to the window sill.

Any advice on how to notch/index them would be much appreciated!

Thanks again. I love the vehicle so far.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:54 PM

Now I do not yet own a Hummer, but I am an avid "car guy" with many cool rides in my past...most of which I wrenched on myself.

Normally the wiper arm is actuated by a splined shaft that sticks out from the body...that’s the actual part that moves clockwise, stops briefly, then moves counter clockwise and again stops briefly and starts over again...making your wiper arm move back and forth.

Your wiper arm is slid or pushed onto this splined stubby shaft and held in place usually by a small bolt that goes thru the wiper arm and into the end of the shaft.

Name:  wiperarm.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  10.8 KB

All you need to do is remove the bolt that is holding the wiper arm onto this shaft. Remove the wiper arm. Usually simple prying will do it...but use some wood shim or other thin wood under your prying tool to protect the paint. Go easy....

Once the arm is off, realign at a lower angle when in the down position and push back onto the splined shaft. Re insert bolt and tighten.

Try it out...

Have done this on my old cars whe this was an issue.

If the windshield was replaced the installers simply did not re-install to the original or correct position...

Especially if you say it is going too far at the top....

Cheers,

Last edited by easy610; 09-27-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:41 PM

Bad news: It turns out the pink thick substance was transmission fluid mixed with Dex-Cool caused by a leaking transmission cooler (which of course, is located in the radiator - horrible idea...) Now the radiator, hoses, etc. have to be replaced. If the transmission was contaminated with coolant, I'm looking at having that replaced too. The vehicle is out of warranty (my extended warranty doesn't start for another 3 weeks). I was quoted $6500-7000 worst case scenario assuming no engine failure associated with it, if so, looking at $11000. I will be purchasing an external transmission cooler once I get the vehicle back.

Good news: The dealer (non-Hummer) I purchased it from last week has promised verbally and in writing to take care of all repairs and is ready to start replacing/flushing items tomorrow. They are even giving me a Range Rover loaner while the repairs are being done so their actions are very encouraging.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by flbassjag
Good news: The dealer (non-Hummer) I purchased it from last week has promised verbally and in writing to take care of all repairs and is ready to start replacing/flushing items tomorrow. They are even giving me a Range Rover loaner while the repairs are being done so their actions are very encouraging.
WOW! That's pretty awesome. Never expected to read that. I'd stick with that dealer for a lifetime.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:24 PM

The dealer did a complete radiator, etc. replacement & flush today, and is having the transmission flushed & checked at a national transmission repair shop tomorrow. I'm told that whatever the transmission repair shop says about the transmission goes, and if replacement is in order, then they are replacing it.

It isn't often that these stories have happy endings, but this dealer has been more than a gentlemen about this entire thing. Once the ordeal is over & solved completely, I'll post the name of the dealership because these are the types of dealers that people should buy cars from.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:05 AM

That same thing happend to my 2003, I needed a new radiator, thermostat, all new hoses and a rebuilt trans becuase I drove it too long before stopping. It was $5000 and covered by my ex warranty. It was good as new when I got it back.
The internal trans cooler/radiator is nothing new. Almost every automatic transmission vehicle has had that combo since the 50's. It's just that the early H2's had a defective radiator.

Quick Reply: New Owner - Two Questions