PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some feedback please

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Default Need some feedback please

Hello-

I am a recent H1 owner and have been dying for my own H1. Have been researching and planning and finally got one as a Christmas present to myself. So now that I finally have my new toy I also looked into all these conversions everyone is talking about. But I don't know much about it nor do I know what to expect. I am hoping there are good people out there that could give me some feedback on what to look for and what to expect as far as time frame and price. I am in the Riverside County area and was told that there is a company in the southern San Diego area called Predator Motorsports. Anyone have info on them? I read about there conversions and dont know all the ins and outs. They say they take my stock motor out, where does that engine go? They state they place a new engine in. Is it brand new from a dealership? I would give them a call but figure they would tell me what I would want to hear. So hoping theres others out there with good feedback or just feedback. I have lots more questions so hope to hear from someone.

Thanks

Old 12-30-2008, 04:49 AM
Default RE: Need some feedback please

Welcome new owner. To help you along I have heard many things about Predator Motorsports. Some of them good and some of them bad. For the most part I have heard there roof racks and brushguards are top of the line. I did see at one show though there roof rack footings were not even and did not sit flush with the roof. I have heard from a few others that some of there kits don't line up and some adjusting is needed on your end. As far as the who conversion aspect, I can't say for sure. I spoke to a few guys around other forums that state a few different things. First off I am not sure what happens to your stock engine. I would assume its theres to keep. Now a guy I know that did some business with them told me they get there engines used or from a wrecked salvage. He also stated that they don't check the internal engine there putting in. So who knows what your getting I guess is what he was trying to explain to me. Another guy that lives in KS told me he got a few things from them and had lots of issues with it and that it took him forever to get any call backs. A guy in CA told me he brought his car back several times because they forget to attach a hose, then forgot to do little things. Another guy in Arizona states that got parts a year or so ago and realized it was not made by them. I guess they claim to have made there headers and intake but he found out they are from another company and they were just placing there logo's on things.

Now this is all I am hearing and I have a really good forum on hummers and all the major companies if you want more info. But I have also heard good things about them. Again most of there tire carriers, roof racks, and what not seem to get good reviews. But like anything else just keep doing your research and talk to people. Join forums like these and just see what people have to say. Don't believe all you hear but keep it in the back of your mind. Hope this helps you out.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:20 AM

you Need to get onto the HML or (www.humvee.net) more folks there to either help you out, or to help guide you....

Predator has been around for a while and I have purchased several items from them.... There was recently a complaint about them in the general forum of this page, but I haven't seen any resolution to that one. Beyond that 1 complaint, I can't recall anything other then praise.....

Old 12-30-2008, 11:39 AM

I checked out that site www.humvee.net and feel it would not be a good place as it seems as if they run or sponsor that site....so I think I may not get a real answer but I will check it out.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:11 PM

they do not run or sponsor the HML, they merely advertise and have many customers there (as Phazer mentioned, very few bad, many very happy). BTW, the HML is the best source of H1 info on the web. Just go there and do a search and you'll turn up all the info you'll need.

Predator's stuff is generally pretty expensive, but good quality. They do a ALOT of conversions and they are legit, not just some guy working out of their garage promising something for nothing. I'm guessing it'll run you $30 to $40k depending on options (don't know an exact number, but check the afore mentioned best source of H1 info on the web). I'm sure you know this by now, but it's not just the motor, it's also the tranny, t-case, brakes, halfshafts + other misc stuff.

good luck...and you don't have to change out your motor unless:
A - you are bored and loaded
B - your motor is blown and you are loaded
C - you want to burn rubber (in a vehicle not necessarily meant to burn rubber) and you are loaded
D - you want to double your mpg...and you are loaded

Old 12-30-2008, 10:31 PM

Thanks a lot for the feedback....still getting a lot of bad things said about Predator so not sure what to think.....someone said there just doing enough to get by....others say there doing a great job....so really hard. I have checked out the other site and getting good feedback there also.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:45 AM

being in so cal, you should really go visit their shop. I did a few years ago and it was impressive.

I bought my truck with a blown 6.5td and replaced it with a new one from AMGeneral. The dealer (1000 Oaks Hummer) raped me. Knowing what I know now about computer/pmd/turbo issues that plague the td's, I'd put in a 6.5 n/a. A bit less power, but it can be tuned/super charged to match or surpass the td. The d-max conversions are cool but that extra power won't be noticed on the trails which btw is where these trucks belong. If I want to tow I'll get a truck designed for that. If I want to burn rubber and go fast, I'll get a sports car. If I win the lottery, I might go visit Predator so they can work their magic!

rb

Old 12-31-2008, 06:47 PM

Hey thanks for all the info. I have spoken to a few people and one being a guy in Fallbrook, no clue where that is, but he said he got a conversation from Predator and the truck never ran right. Another guy said that they get there engines from salvaged cars. Now is that to keep the price down? Could I get a new engine and pay the difference? If they are using used engines do they test them before hand that all inner components are working? Many concerns. I have heard from a few people saying that they got product from Predator and there chrome is peeling or there painted product is fading. So really not sure. So I am just lost to know what to think. I just feel if I went there they would just give me a show just to get my business.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:42 PM

I don't mean to steer you away from Predator...as far as conversions, they are at the top. But you might want to chat with Mike Sabarese at Tustin Hummer to weigh your options. He will give you the straight poop on all your options. Not many know more about hummers than Mike does and I bet he's run across a few d-max conversions and can tell you what works well and what doesn't. Incase you don't know him he's a master hummer mechanic trained by AMG many moons ago he also races/maintains an h1 race-truck and currently runs the service dept at Tustin Hummer. Like I said, I wish I spent some time chatting with him before dropping trou 5 years ago.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:35 AM
Super Moderator

Ron's advice is good. Talk to Mike at Tustin. He is as good as there is on H1s and he will be able to answer all of your questions. I have never bought anything from Predator but most of the feedback I have heard on them is positive. I doubt anyone has done more D-Max conversions than they have. There are different series D-Max motors and I am sure you have many options to chose from. Talk to Mike, call Predator and set up a walk through. Let them explain the options and costs and then make your decision.