PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need H3 Tire recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 11:19 PM
Question Need H3 Tire recommendation

I have a 2009 H3 and bought it new with BF Goodrich tires. At 30K miles now and these tires already need replacement. I've never liked them from the beginning, they did not grip the road well.

I live on a very steep hill with a paved driveway that accumulates a lot of winter snow and ice , so while i don't do planned offroad driving, I need the H3 just to get home.

I've had Firestone destination and Cooper Discovery tiresrecommended and would welcome input on these or other options. Also had Kumho KL51 mentioned but those tires are just plain ugly.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:02 AM

Robyn, Hello and Welcome from MI!

Please use the "SEARCH" function and you will find more than 50 threads on tire options/recommendations for the H3/H3T including sizes, US or foreign company ownership, photos, Winter traction, loudness and long term reports.

For a good ice and snow tire look for generous tread siping!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:15 PM

A snow tire would be best for snow and ice but with the amount of miles you drive, it just wouldn't be practical unless you swapped tires in the spring. Snow tires wear very fast due to there softer rubber compound, which is part of what makes them so good in the snow. An all season tire will be fine and like TAINTER said, make sure they are siped. The stock BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A suck in the snow (minimal sipes), so just about anything is going to be an improvement.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:15 PM

My personal search lead me to one of 3 options, BFG AT KOs (I've ran these or BFG MTs on pretty much all my jeeps), General Grabber AT2s (very similar but cheaper), or Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. All three are rated for severe winter driving (snowflake symbol) in the size I want. The Duratracs seem like a clear winner, but there are some mixed reviews about them being squirmy on the road. In any event, from what you describe it sounds like you'd be best off with an AT that is winter rated (snowflake), and probably 285/75/16 (stock size for Adventure package, but that size or even bigger is fine for any stock H3/H3t).

Like the others mentioned already, a search here will pull up a multitude of suggestions. I only replied because I was recently looking for a good winter tire (UT) that would be good for all around driving as well.