PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav replacement questions....

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:22 PM

I'm still spinning the fantasy of installing an ipad or 7" android tablet in the car... much more bang for the buck (and cool factor)...

I figured I can pull the DVD Nav which would leave me a double-din open... but still haven't figured out a mount... Scosche dropped there iKit plans... Can I put a ram-mount.com mount in a double din and bolt/screw it to something?

is there a single din mount so I can pull the onstar unit and use that real estate?

I havent been able to find any good answers to above... kinda rhetorical TBH... besides I'm tired and rambling...

-a

then again i might just go with bluefusion.... would have loved the new lockpick gmx550 but no go in the 2007 unit...

...still rambling...

Old 02-16-2012, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by bflorin
That is the easiest thing to override on the aftermarket decks...I think everyone now should be hooking them up as directed for liability reasons. All you have to do is tell them to wire in a toggle switch to the parking brake. That way they have installed it to not function in video mode while driving, and you can easily flip the switch so the nav unit thinks its in park. Hell I never even hooked that wire up on mine. NOTE: some features on some models are only available in park or motion.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GO TO BEST BUY TO INSTALL ANYTHING IN YOUR VEHICLE. No exceptions, NEVER! Go to a car audio shop or do it yourself. Seriously, Never!

There is a badass Kenwood nav deck forsale in the classified section on one of the hummer forum sites. Few months old, $700 I think. Just posted in the last few days.
OK, So You should really do your research before talking about any large company like Best Buy, especially about one of their servece departments. Ive been doing professional installation for 10 years now, Im one of only 198 MASTER MECP certified professional installers out of 22000 total installers in North America, and i also happen to be the supervisor of a Best Buy install bay in the Northern California. With that being said, ill let the comment go and assume it wasnt posted toward me personally or my professional experience, because i know it was not. But as with any service industry, there are hacks and crooks that will break your vehicle or just do an all around horrible job. But just because you might have seen someones install that went wrong that was done by Best Buy, does not warrant a blanketing of every installer at all 1500 international stores. I will say that you need to do your research and talk to a person before you just let them put hands on your vehicle, that goes for anywhere that you would get work done. But one thing that i know is done at Best Buys, is that you need to be at least MECP Basic Certified to be an installer for the corporation, they are one of the very few stores that require anything like that to work on a car. So please, before making broad judgments, understand that before saying "NEVER NEVER NEVER" let Best buy touch your car, that there those of us that are in their install bays, that are professionals and do know what we are doing, and do have the experience, certifications, and the portfolio of custom work to back it up. Thanks for reading my rant everyone, and i hope to see you in my Install Bay, cause i really do like working on H2's

Old 02-17-2012, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by cpcustoms
OK, So You should really do your research before talking about any large company like Best Buy, especially about one of their servece departments. Ive been doing professional installation for 10 years now, Im one of only 198 MASTER MECP certified professional installers out of 22000 total installers in North America, and i also happen to be the supervisor of a Best Buy install bay in the Northern California. With that being said, ill let the comment go and assume it wasnt posted toward me personally or my professional experience, because i know it was not. But as with any service industry, there are hacks and crooks that will break your vehicle or just do an all around horrible job. But just because you might have seen someones install that went wrong that was done by Best Buy, does not warrant a blanketing of every installer at all 1500 international stores. I will say that you need to do your research and talk to a person before you just let them put hands on your vehicle, that goes for anywhere that you would get work done. But one thing that i know is done at Best Buys, is that you need to be at least MECP Basic Certified to be an installer for the corporation, they are one of the very few stores that require anything like that to work on a car. So please, before making broad judgments, understand that before saying "NEVER NEVER NEVER" let Best buy touch your car, that there those of us that are in their install bays, that are professionals and do know what we are doing, and do have the experience, certifications, and the portfolio of custom work to back it up. Thanks for reading my rant everyone, and i hope to see you in my Install Bay, cause i really do like working on H2's
You might find it offensive but I would never take any vehicle I owned to best buy for an install. I have had my own experience and known of a few others and read even more in form posts across the internet of others that weren't happy with what the installers there have done. You can claim it's different where you are and that you actually know what your doing. However, I can't imagine the people who did my install and others thought they themselves were clueless but the results speak for themselves and for me it isn't worth the risk and I wouldn't wish a best buy installer on anyone. you might think it's ignorance but others just call it experience.