PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my hummer H1 project build :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 02:03 AM
Default my hummer H1 project build :)

Hello everyone, I'm George, a new member to this amazing forum. 2 months ago I bought a 1996 hummer H1 pickup that had a caravan on its back. I removed it so it became the rare 2 door pickup hardtop hummer. The car's interior was in fair condition and externally it is good, but the engine, transmission and all suspension and drive train components were screwed. The car started its life as a 6.5 TD with a 4L80 transmission full time 4x4 ofcourse, but when I got it..... IT HAD A 5.7 tpi CONVERTED TO CARB WITH A 3L80 (TH400) WHICH WAS DAMAGED AND THE ORIGINAL TRANSFER CASE WAS DAMAGED AS WELL AND THE FRONT PROPELLER ASSEMBLY WAS MISSING !!!! anyways, I got the car for a really good deal, it cost me 100,000 Egyptian pounds, which is equal to around 13K USD.

I Decided to create a monster out of it, since I was never experienced with diesel engines, I decided to stick with petrol, got myself
1- a good condition LQ4 6.0 vortec engine ( I think this same engine came in the H2) for 1000 USD with its wiring harness
2- perfect condition TH400 wich in mechanical and easy to deal with and got a used TC similar to mine and took out from it the chain and put it in my TC and swapped other identical parts honestly I am not good with T cases but I think I did a good job there.$300
3- fabricated a complete SS exhaust system (using the stock exhaust manifolds for now) dual 2.5" pipes collected into 1 3.5" pipe into a middle 3.5" muffler and exiting the muffler into a 4" pipe and a nice looking tail. $400
4- modified the engine mounts from the old 3 hole pattern to the new 4 hole engine.
5- the engine was out of a truck so it had the high profile intake manifold, was hitting the hood, was already planning a lift kit so I custom made a 8cm body lift kit out of aluminum wich replaced the 1/2 " lift that was already there, so the actual lift I did is 6.75 cm approx. $200
5- AC compressor couldn't be fitted so I traded it for a R4 compressor and ordered myself a relocation bracket that puts the R4 compressor high on the passengers side $250 including shipping
6- a friend of mine is building me a Megasquirt 3X EFI ECU to run the engine (about to be done) this is including the fitting and tuning sessions on road and on dyno.$1500
7- Trying to figure out the part numbers for all the missing parts of the front propeller assembly (everything is missing between the TC and the front diff)
8- ordering a set of 4 wheels from ebay (rims and tires) still not sure what size should I get for rims and wheels. options are a set of black vision soft 17x9 on 40x13.5x17 tires or a set of rockstars 20x10 on 38x15.5x20 nitto mud graplers
8-deleted the oil cooler, turbo intercooler and the AC cooler (will get a new AC cooler afterwards.
9- got myself 2 30 row oil coolers for engine and tranny $200 including the lines and fittings, currently fabricating the mounts and routing the lines between the engine and the coolers.
10- cleaned and checked the original radiator that came in the car (its a 4 row copper radiator I don't know if this was original or custom made by previous owner.
11. did custom mounts for the radiator so lift it 5 cm from its original place.
12- deleted the water pump driven fan and custom made a radiator shroud that holds twin 14" electric fans behind the radiator and there are other 2 14" fans that I will put infront of all the coolers in the end. $300
13- deleted the original fuel lines and pumps and everything and started from scratch. a universal fuel pump with a filter was put in the main tank this pumps the fuel to the main 255 LPH in line fuel pump that pushed the fuel threw an inline filter and to the fuel rails, rails have a built in fuel regulator and a return line to the main tank. all the lines for fuel were custom made of high quality stainless teflon and routed nicely away from heat and any moving parts. total for all these was around $250
14- geared hubs and diffs were checked, cleaned and filled with oil 80w90 $100
15- CTIS was deleted by previous owner but the lines are there, cleaned and got myself a set of seals for the hubs (CTIS air seals) but not running the CTIS now. $20

This is all what comes to my mind now, I know i am not sorting the process well enough but its because my mined in really messed up thinking of so much stuff.

PROBLEMS i AM ENCOUNTERING:-

1- what are the part numbers for all the parts of the front propeller I think there are some different parts out there. I am missing the shaft from the TC to the center bearing, the center bearing and the shaft from the center bearing to the front differential.

2- are 40" wheels a real strain on the suspension components?

3- is the 3" or the 7 cm lift I have a problem? most of the time I see people online putting 2" body lift and 2" suspension lift but I believe the suspension lift is the real strain on the components specially the ball joints.

4- why am I the first to put this engine in the H1 ? is it underpowered ?! I don't think so, its much more stronger than the 5.7 vortec !

5- is the TH400 a bad transmission on the H1? will it hold the power? btw I was able to find a TH400 torque converter that has the 6 mounts instead of only 3

I understand that some of the stuff I did in this project will be of nonsense to you guys and I am sure I will receive a lot of judgement but I am really excited to complete this project and improve it over time.

Any feedback will be highly appreciated

here are some pics

this is the water pipe under the radiator

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...bd&oe=5510D104
this is the car, it looks really bad cause the tires are 33" !!!!!

Old 12-10-2014, 11:16 AM

Great job on saving that 2 door H1! Post some more pics when you get more stuff done on the truck.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Most people put diesel engines in them because of the power curve and torque vs a gas engine. The TH400 is a good tranny but limits the top speed and impacts driveability.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:01 AM

yes, my problem is that I have no idea what final ratios will I have with this setup, RE what the speed will be on first gear 5500 rpm, I don't think top speed would be an issue because, as I read somewhere else the full time 4x4 system on the really heavy H1 does not like high speeds I think 120 km/h was the max safe rpm, what I am trying to figure out is the speed on each gear, my diffs and geared hubs were from diesel hummer, so the ratios were set for the 3500 rpm engine, my new engine would rev till 5500 (what I believe is a safe limit) so the speeds are going to be much higher than the diesel

the 1st 2nd and 3rd gear ratios are common between the TH400 and the 4L80E, but the diffs and the hubs should be different, because if the diesel hummer can lets say reach 40 mph on 3500 rpm 1st gear, with the same combo but on 5500 rpm!!! I will be making more than 65 mph !

Old 12-11-2014, 01:02 AM

plus the fact that a 40" Tire will be giving me 8% more speed than the 37" tires

Old 12-11-2014, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

But the TH400 is only a 3 speed tranny. With your set up I would think you would want the 4th gear.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:09 AM

I am sure the 4th gear would be much better, its just a headache to run the all electronic 4L80E, its not easy and I have to get a standalone ECU for it since i am running my engine with a standalone Megasquirt 3, I am putting it as a future plan

Old 12-18-2014, 02:59 AM

managed to reach the original owner and boght the complete used front drive shaft assembly, the CTIS compressor and some other stuff.

bought a set of aftermarket aluminum fuel rails instead of the plastic ones I have

and this is the AC relocation plate

and this is the set (17" wheels 8x6.5) and 40x13.5x17 pro comp XTreme MT2

Old 12-18-2014, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like progress.