PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

My dealer sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Default My dealer sucks!

I went to my friendly Hummer dealer to inquire about getting the torsion bars adjusted and the new shocks installed. Much to my dismay they flat out refused to have anything to do with adjusting the torsion bars. They said they will not make any adjustments unless they are GM approved! Man, does that suck!

What I’d like to know is how big of a deal is it to adjust the torsion bars? Is that something I could do or could a regular mechanic do it? Has anyone out there actually done it themselves?

At least I found out my dealer is not going to be mod-friendly so I’m going to have to be very careful what I do to my H3 Alpha so I don’t void my warranty.

Gar

Old 01-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Default RE: My dealer sucks!

I bought a Dodge Ram once that the torsion bars had been adjusted wrong....I guess the previous owner wanted to give the front end a lowered look....that actually screwed up the alignment and how the tires wore.....It's fairly easy to adjust the torsion bars yourself, but I wouldn't recommend doing it, unless you know exactly what you are doing......It can mess up a lot of things.....

Old 01-21-2008, 04:00 PM

Ok, let me help you here before you get told to use search. By the way, use the search

https://www.hummerforums.com/m_64391/tm.htm
https://www.hummerforums.com/m_2595/tm.htm
https://www.hummerforums.com/m_85401/tm.htm

There are ALOT of threads on this topic, too many for me to keep adding here for you but these should get you started. Go to SEARCH at the top of this screen and then just type in what you are looking for ie. TORSION BARS, I came up with 267 different threads that talk about this.

Good luck

Old 01-21-2008, 04:52 PM

ORIGINAL: rhill20
There are ALOT of threads on this topic, too many for me to keep adding here for you but these should get you started. Go to SEARCH at the top of this screen and then just type in what you are looking for ie. TORSION BARS, I came up with 267 different threads that talk about this.
Good luck
I know the search featurecan be very helpfulbut like you stated there are 267 threads to read on the subject and sometimes it's easier & fasterjust to ask someone. Thanks very much for your help.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:52 PM

FYI, you will need to get an alingment after you crank your T-Bars. Here are the numbers from when I did mine:

CAMBER: Left -1.3 Right -0.8
CASTER: 2.8 2.4
TOE: 0.640.59

CROSS CAMBER: -0.5
CROSS CASTER: 0.3
CROSS SAI 0.7
TOTAL TOE: 1.23

Old 01-21-2008, 05:01 PM

Hey RHill, Thanks for the info. What do you do in the US Army?

Thanks for your service to our country.[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Gar

Old 01-21-2008, 05:22 PM

Transportation, Heavy Equip Operator, Driver for 17 yrs. For another year now I've been on Recruiting Duty. Hope this ends soonthank you.

And your welcome for the info.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:46 PM

Instead of giving you a crappy response, I'll give you a little more info. I just went through this three weeks ago when I got mine. The drivers side was about 1 1/2 lower than the passenger side. I did a lot of searching and didn't find much.

You need a socket 1 1/16. The adjustment bolt is about midway underneath each door. You turn clockwise to raise and you turn counter clockwise to lower. I drew a line with a permanent marker midway through the bolt and onto the side of the frame so when I knew I would do one complete turn. I also put painters tape on the socket so I would know when I made one revolution as well. Only make 1 or 2 revolutions and then measure.

It is so easy to do.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:49 PM

Oh and rhill20 is correct. Your alignment will be screwed. My steering wheel is off now that I have them adjusted.

One more thing... I was more worried about mine from left side to ride side. After I adjusted the first time I had each side perfect. When my wife drove it for a small drive and came home I measured again and it was about 1/2 off on each side. I re-adjusted and have driven it again and it is still good.

I am waiting till mine gets 500 miles on it to take it for an alignment.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:51 AM

your dealer sucks? my dealer moved and didnt even tell me !

i drove by last week and they were just gone !!

Quick Reply: My dealer sucks!