PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple misfires readings

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 04:57 PM

[QUOTE=jerms212;318929]I'm ASE certified and own a shop here in Fort Worth - been doing this my entire life. I can't diagnose it without him bringing to me so I'm giving him some pointers on what he can do to figure it out on his own instead of paying a mechanic $80 an hour to diagnose it. New spark plugs was a cheap guess - ignition coils are a little more expensive of a guess but they both rule out potential problems for when a mechanic may look look at it. Multiple random misfires is a generic code and can be extremely difficult to chase down especially if there are multiple factors like fouled out plugs, bad exhaust recirculation, bad compression etc. I've had customers bring in MRM codes and it be nothing more than a clogged fuel injector and I've had then come in where it's been blown head gasket, blocked cat, fouled plugs, and gunked up fuel rails.[/QUOTE
Jerms212,
Thanx 4 ur input. It is very difficult to chase down, n me not being a mechanic is more difficult, that's why I need input like urs. I'll keep u posted.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:13 AM

Have you checked the intake manifold bolts?

Old 11-05-2014, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by 94sam126
Thanx 4 the link. I purchased 5, from 1A auto. But when I put them in the idle was not what it was when I changed my plugs. The misfires are more pronounced. So.....I did get 5 (ignition coils packs) from a dealership in Delaware and saved on taxes. $194.00 w/ an employee discount used the gm friends an family plan!! Gonna change them this evening and see what happens. No Idea what I'll do w/ the ones I purchased from 1A, there might b a sensitivity issue. If this changes doesn't do it then off to the pros!
Got the 5 New AC Delco Ignition Coil packs and changed them and all seem to be running smooth.Had On star do a diag on it and no codes showed up on their end, but when I put it on a C Reader it came up MRM (multiple Random Misfires) the the H3 seem to have regular idle while in park and seems to have no issues on while driving.There is more power and a slight up tick in gas milage. After I put the 5 new ignition coil packs in I did reset the engine check light last saturday night (Nov.1) and today(Nov.5) the light came back on. I already had scheduled an appointment to take it to the dealer on (Nov. 6 th). I was doing some reading and it could be the type of fuel that i've been using which was 89 octane. I did read that other owners were using 91 or above and have had no other problems. Also i did read that it could be a clogged O2 sensor. Jerms212 did offer in one of his responses to me that it could be a any of the following: a clogged fuel injector, he also stated that "I've had them (customers) come in where it's been blown head gasket, blocked cat, fouled plugs, and gunked up fuel rails." So I'll have this info in mind when i get to the dealer. I w/ my limited motorhead knowledge can no longer continue to chase this down & will now turn it over to the professional and see what they say. I hope to have the issue resolved by tomorrow Nov 6, and hope to provide an update soon there after.
signed 94sam126

Old 11-06-2014, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Your truck (assuming it is stock) only require 87 octane, and it cannot use anything higher so you are simply pissing away $$ with higher octane levels.

More important to use quality fuel instead of cheap off brand stuff.