PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May buy 06 H3 143K miles $7400, head question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 10:30 PM
Default May buy 06 H3 143K miles $7400, head question.

I'm looking at a local dealer that has a very nice looking 06 H3 base with 143,000 miles. Head was replaced at 82K miles in 2009. The big question is this, once the head is replaced, are the replacement assemblies corrected and the problem with the soft valve seats gone, or would I expect that this head is getting closer to failure?

The body is in fantastic condition on this H3. Needs front axle seals, rear rotors and pads, transmission pan is leaking a slight bit, and steering rack is leaking but not bad. Interior is clean as new, frame shows light surface corrosion, floor is rust free. 4 new tires on it recently. Missing spare wheel and tire.

I will do the work myself and pick at the leaks.

Should I fear an H3 engine with these miles? The car fax shows that both previous owners were religious with maintenance at the dealership I'm looking at buying from. My biggest concern is that possibly at this age and miles that these may not be reliable and become problematic.

I don't plan to off road. I drive 45 miles a day for my commute at less than 50 mph through towns. I just want a low cost suv and this thing looks really cool on top of being a low cost suv, my 8 year old boy loves the idea of a Humvee. To him, it's an army truck :-)

The HVAC lights on 2 ***** are burnt out and the radio buttons have some of the black coating worn off. I'll swap out the radio and look at how to fix the hvac system lighting.

Am I getting into this thing "right", or should I run?

Any input is appreciated. I have the deal made, I'm a drive back up for the final signature away from owning it.

2006 HUMMER H3 for sale at North Star Chevy in Moon Township, PA

Old 03-13-2014, 10:49 PM

That sounds like a good deal to me. You would have a hard time finding one cheaper. As far as the miles go any vehicle can have problems at any amount of miles. I have heard of some people with h3's with well over 200,000 miles and still running strong. I would try to get them to sell it with some warranty. At least that way the problems that you may not have noticed or haven't showed up yet will be covered. The head that they put on it should be the updated head that most likely wont give you any problems. Also are you aware that they changed the motors to 3.7L in 2007. They had about 20 more hp. Just throwing that out there if it means anything to you.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:58 PM

I knew about the 3.7L change, but I'm trying to do this as cheap as reasonable. I have a 2004 Grand Prix also for me, so my wife doesn't want a loan on a spare vehicle. I'm dealing with cash on hand from my man-stash. I could put it off a month and try to sell the Kenne Bell Supercharger I have to go on my new Camaro. I hate to do that though.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:09 PM

I jut wanted to make sure you knew about it. IMO if you like it and everything checks out good on i would buy it. Did you look at the transmission fluid? I would make sure it isn't burnt smelling and black.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:09 AM

I'll take an intimate sniff of her body fluids this evening when I go over.

Not sure if you noticed the link in my original post above, but that's the link to the actual vehicle at Northstar Chevy.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:14 AM

Also, in respect to the warranty suggestion, I don't think that there is a snowballs chance in hades. I've got them at the bottom dollar and I'm buying it "as is" because they don't have enough room in it to fix anything. So if luck is against me, I'll be dealing with it in my garage. Luckily I have a much more capable garage than average in my house.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

At that price why not. You could part it out for more.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by larry0071
I'm looking at a local dealer that has a very nice looking 06 H3 base with 143,000 miles. Head was replaced at 82K miles in 2009. The big question is this, once the head is replaced, are the replacement assemblies corrected and the problem with the soft valve seats gone, or would I expect that this head is getting closer to failure?
All atlas motor assemblies after produced after April 1, 2006 have the corrected hardened valve seats, if they put on a new head that specific problem is fixed permanently. That does not mean you cannot have some other unrelated valve train or head failure.

IMHO GM pissed away $$ on replacing heads at the drop of a hat because they did not have faith in their dealer network to repair other simple problems. I understand that there would be no point in fixing say a weak or cracked valve spring on a head made before March 31, 2006, but they throw new heads on 3.7Ls that are reparable??

From an old post of mine:
"The S/Ns affected is any 2006 H3 lower than 287591 .... the first one started with 100,001, your truck build date will be Nov. 06 or earlier. Not all have the problem, but some could. The head issue affected not only the I5, 4s and 6s were subject to the same issues. Call GM with your vin# and build date (from the sticker in the driver's door jam) and ask.

Just in case you're gonna say, wow they didn't even build that many 3s? The VINs are assigned at the same Shreveport plant building Colorados and Canyons. Their VIN sequence unit #s are mixed in and subject to the same TSB re: the head/valve issue.

The recall and extended warranty was for very early 2006s, those with the 3.5L L52 Motors built before March 31, 2006. That is not to say some 3.7L LLRs have never had a valve or head issue. All the Atlas motors built since 4/1/06 have the new hardened valve seats."

Old 03-14-2014, 08:39 AM

I worked up an estimate based on Rock Auto.

Rock Auto Prices
Rear brake backing plate $40 Each (Depends on if they are rotted out)
AC Delco 18A1777A Advantage Rear Rotor $40 Each or $80
AC Delco Rear Brake Pads #14D1120CH $30
AC Delco Front Axle Seal # 290297 $11 each
AC Delco Trans Filter Kit #24225323 $30
$162 without backing plates or transmission fluid

Need to do basic fluid changes and tune up. Around $200

AC Delco # 1573909 HTR/AC Control Panel $186.79 (Later, to get back-lighting back)
AC Delco # 22000 Radiator W/4-Spd Auto $226 (Later, potential problem area that ruins transmission)
AC Delco Rack and Pinion #19320562 For H3 with 14mm Tie Rods $268 + 75 Core (Later, depends on how bad leak is.)
AC Delco Rack and Pinion #19320558 For H3 with 16mm Tie Rods $272 + $75 Core (Later)

All items available locally for a higher cost.

Need spare wheel/tire.
Need to find passenger side door mirror assembly, price unknown.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:30 AM

if I were u id RUN and buy it now that you told the world of hummer lovers!

if I could just leave now,,,!

Quick Reply: May buy 06 H3 143K miles $7400, head question.