PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Lost my onstar excitement.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Lost my onstar excitement.

WTF?!

That's what I was going to say. Why can't you just ZOOM OUT? All you need to do is tell the person what direction they need to drive. SHEESH! Now I don't regret cancelling it.

How do you disable it all together, like, pull the plug on it? Isn't it a separate box somewhere inside the vehicle? There has to be a fuse or something you can pull to disable it completely.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:14 PM

what if the if the thief knocks off the antenna? can onstar still slow down the vehicle or know the position? just wondering....

Old 10-23-2007, 05:15 PM

I've got turn-by-turn on my Solstice and love it, it's the killer App for Onstar and worth every penny. Unfortunately, our H3 doesn't suppport it so it's record the directions but it still gets us where we need to go.

I also love the voice activated phone, we've got ours connected via Verizon's family plan.

If you are not happy with the results from an Onstar contact, hit the button and ask the same question again from another advisor. They're all not created equal. We've only needed to do this twice in the past so I'm not knocking Onstar, their advisors are top-notch.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:51 PM

ORIGINAL: RealJeep

I love OnStar and had a similar problem. I was in the middle of the Green Swamp in FL and nowhere near where I wanted to be. I too mashed the blue button and asked basically the same question and got the same LAME answer. I told the operator to ZOOM OUT which I knew they could do and heard Oh!, There you are. Sigh....Low bid on the operator contract again....I was only about 4 miles from the hard road butwhen youpage OnStaritalways shows you at full zoom in. Any operator with more than 2 days experience should have known that.
This makes me feel much better. Haha.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:45 PM

I also like the onstar service...use the turn by turn all the time, even to look fora starbucks they will get you there. On Saturday my wife locked us out of the house. I called onstar to open my H3 andI used the remote control for the garage to get me back in the house. Luckily I had my cell phone with me.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:26 PM

Here's my story.
When I bought my 2007 N3 I was told that the Onstar would be able to help me anywhere is the US
When I have used my navigation system, it has proven very good for most posted roads, but
not "everywhere' off road
I recently made a trip to the Toyibe National Forest in central Nevada and thought I'd give Onstar
a buzz, while up in the mountains.
No dice at all. I tried many times.
Even tho the nav system works off GPS, the Onstar call in blue button works by cellular connection,
THEN Onstar can find you through GPS satellite fix after you reach Onstar.
When I returned to the paved roads, Onstar was there

I have called Onstar and they confirmed that they use everybody's cellular service to make connections
I'm sure that if Onstar had been reached they would have told me what they told you
"We can see your location, but have no idea which way to have you go"

Old 10-23-2007, 09:29 PM

Onstar can be useful, but for the things it does and navigation systemcould do the same and it could do it better

Old 10-24-2007, 10:02 AM

I though about upgrading my onstar for the turn by turn nav, but when I think about it good nav systems are now selling for around $200, so it will pay for itself in 2 years.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:25 PM

i cancel my service since they where always getting me lost plus they told me that at the end of the year i have to upgrade my system $300 bucks plus i had to pay 1 year a head

Old 10-24-2007, 10:29 PM

funny story!!