Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Lost my onstar excitement. (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/lost-my-onstar-excitement-7823/)

mh307 10-22-2007 06:57 PM

Lost my onstar excitement.

Ok, i'm going to poke some fun at myself here. :)

On a very recent trail ride, my uncle, his wife and son in their jeep rubicon, and myself and a female co-pilot in my h3 were driving on dirt roads for several hours. It had gotten dim, then dark, VERY fast, and we had been driving for at least an hour in the darkness... Worried that we would come out near the lake again, i didn't want to go further the wrong direction and have to make the 3 hour drive back...so...i hit the blue onstar button. The conversatioin went something like this...
ME: You have me on GPS right?
OP: Yes.
ME: Do you have me on a road?
OP: No.
ME: Can you tell me how far from a road i am?
OP: No...i don't see how i could evenget you to one. There's nothing around you. You're in the middle of nowhere.
ME: Thanks.

Well, after this i almost turned around, but after 4 or 5 more minutes of dirt road....can you imagine this...PAVED ROADS!! Shouldhavebeen well known too.Thanks onstar. :)
So if the new onstar commercial involves the operator saying...hey look buddy, you're screwed.You know it was me.:D:D:D:D

hilljob26 10-22-2007 06:58 PM

RE: Lost my onstar excitement.

thats funny........

Doc Olds 10-22-2007 07:23 PM

Yep. I don't need no stinking Onstar.;) :D

GorillaH2 10-22-2007 07:47 PM

Onstar is too expensive for what it does and when a person really needs it, it usually doesnt help out enough...this has nothing to do with this but did anyone hear about there being a law of a black box in your car that everytime you go over the speedlimit it would give you a ticket and it could actually stop your car?

mh307 10-22-2007 07:51 PM

Must not be in effect yet...cuz i prob wouldn't have a license...lol. Big brother...hmm...if they did do that i think i'd cut the box out. Or just buy an older car. Oh, and i didn't pay for the onstar. It's the free year. The phone is worth it though. I always can talk on it, when my cell doesn't get service. (Like constantly)

Steve #1 10-23-2007 12:15 AM

I wouldn't expect directions on a dirt road, but they should be able to tell you in what direction the paved road is.

ORIGINAL: GorillaH2

Onstar is too expensive for what it does and when a person really needs it, it usually doesnt help out enough...this has nothing to do with this but did anyone hear about there being a law of a black box in your car that everytime you go over the speedlimit it would give you a ticket and it could actually stop your car?
The "black box" is not related to OnStar, but the BCM (I believe). It has a buffer of a few seconds that is stored after the airbags deploy. It stores information such as speed, break input, throttle input, steering input...... There is information on it in the owner’s manual.

As for stopping your car, it won't be available until 09 or 10 and will only be activated in conjunction with police in stolen vehicle cases.

671H3 10-23-2007 03:38 AM

Funny Story! I disabled my onstar when I bought adouble din player.

RealJeep 10-23-2007 12:24 PM

I love OnStar and had a similar problem. I was in the middle of the Green Swamp in FL and nowhere near where I wanted to be. I too mashed the blue button and asked basically the same question and got the same LAME answer. I told the operator to ZOOM OUT which I knew they could do and heard Oh!, There you are. Sigh....Low bid on the operator contract again....I was only about 4 miles from the hard road butwhen youpage OnStaritalways shows you at full zoom in. Any operator with more than 2 days experience should have known that.

HumminNBoatin 10-23-2007 01:07 PM

I dont have onstar activated in my H2 nor do I want to. But Im thinking that for some reason OnStar was not designed to get you over the river and through the woods to grandmothers house we go. I think it was more designed to get you from I-74 to I-75 on marked roadways.
Now it would be bad ass if they had a live satellite shot to see exactly where you are and could plot a course for you when offroad!! If that was the case I would have it! :D

branstone 10-23-2007 02:12 PM

i think what you are talking about is starting in 2009 onstar will be equiped to safely stop a moving vehicle, if it has been reported stolen, or in a car chace, or whatever if the police request it.