PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy an h2... advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 09:10 PM
Default Looking to buy an h2... advice?

Im looking to buy an h2 and im looking for some beginner advice. I was wondering are these vehicles good daily drivers? how are they for driving for an hour or more?

My reason for wanting a hummer is right now i have a 350z which is a 2 seater coupe and its an awesome car but its not good for fishing trips, grocery shopping, landscaping supplies etc. you know.. guy stuff lol. I also live in pa where we get lots of snow and the sports car just doesnt cut it.

Most of the h2 in my area in my budget range (20k and under) have atleast 100k miles and more commonly 120-140k. Is it advised to buy an h2 with like this high of miles? What are things I should look out for or expect with this kind of mileage? Im okay with general upkeep costs but im more worried about purchasing one with the 100k+ miles and a few months later the engine or tranny blows and be looking at a 5k dollar repair bill.. any advice? thanks

Old 01-30-2018, 08:41 AM

They are amazing to drive, it's my favorite vehicle for road trips. It would do all the things you mentioned well. Gas mileage is horrible, repairs can be expensive.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:56 AM

I have several vehicles, a Corvette, Mercedes and a BMW and I drive my H2 daily. I'm a big guy and find that it suites me better. I don't care about the gas mileage, although mine runs about 13 mpg. I've had zero major issues to speak of and am about to click 160K. I'm tossing around the thought of redoing the seats and maybe wrapping it but that's about all it really needs. I will put a stroked LS in it one day but after a custom tune from a local guy I am perfectly happy with the performance now.

I'd just be careful about rust in your area. Maybe shop on the internet and find a southern truck if you're not in a hurry.

Tim

Old 02-09-2018, 12:55 AM

Transmissions go out between 100k and 150k, some last longer. Mine just went out months ago. No towing or 4wheelin. Just a lift and 38" tires...lol I have other vehicles, so I have been driving in 1st and 2nd gear around town. No highway driving though. Check radiator...hopefully it has the external cooler that bypasses radiator. Lots of these have the dreaded radiator/tranny cooler seam burst. These radiators are like a 3 in 1. Radiator for engine coolant, for motor oil, and transmission fluid. They all flow through/around the same radiator. Trans and coolant side tends to fail most often.

Suspension: decide if you can accept the sounds/bopping/etc. Hopefully upper control arms have been upgraded to Kryptonite....or something comparable.

All in all, good tonka toys. Very much enjoy mine. Terrible MPG, but...ehhh, who cares!?!?! That's not why you buy one. I run over curbs, speedbumps, and the like with no problem. Despite lift and tires, very comfortable and easy to drive. Steering is super light. Great road presence and forward visibility!

Old 02-09-2018, 03:07 PM

Depending on where you life one just popped up on my Craigslist feed the other day. If it is legit, then it is truly killer deal. Cannot say I care for 22" wheels (and it probably rides like crap with them since there is hardly any sidewall on the tires with the giant wheels) but other than that it looks great to me. It is an SUT though... I'm tempted to go after it myself even though my wife would kill me.

2006 H2 SUT with 19K miles for $18769 -
Link deleted..... it was a scammer.

Hard telling for sure if this one is a scam ad. No phone or email address provided but then the language and text is very well done, in other words it sounds like an actual English speaking adult wrote it so it might very well be legit.

Last edited by MixManSC; 02-10-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:53 PM
Old 02-10-2018, 07:36 AM

Ah - yep sure enough... Figures. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I flagged it on CG. I was busy but probably should have done a reverse image search on the pic before linking it.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:23 AM

get one from the south, they don't salt the roads and the under carriage usually is in a lot better shape.

I wouldn't be to concerned about millage as the LS engines are great even at high millage. If possible get the 08 or 09 model as the 6 speed trans has a better history for millage.

If you get the older model watch for the interior door panels as they are rather expensive to replace.

I really enjoy driving the H2 for a daily driver, its got a great ride for the 2500 suspension and is very comfortable with all the necessary amenities for trips.

Mine averages about 12 MPG with 37" tires and a Diablo sport custom tune.

Neal

Old 02-11-2018, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by legerwn
get one from the south, they don't salt the roads and the under carriage usually is in a lot better shape.

I wouldn't be to concerned about millage as the LS engines are great even at high millage. If possible get the 08 or 09 model as the 6 speed trans has a better history for millage.

If you get the older model watch for the interior door panels as they are rather expensive to replace.

I really enjoy driving the H2 for a daily driver, its got a great ride for the 2500 suspension and is very comfortable with all the necessary amenities for trips.

Mine averages about 12 MPG with 37" tires and a Diablo sport custom tune.

Neal
Since the time I’ve started this thread I’ve got a lot more serious about buying an h2. In my area people are asking 17k for h2 with 120k miles on it is that a fair price?

Im really looking for an h2 with less than 100k miles for under 20k dollars and I’m hard pressed to find one, without rust that is. I’m gonna keep looking. I plan on keeping the h2 I buy for long term so I’m gonna take my time until I find a quality vehicle

im award of the tranny needing replaced over 100k miles but can you tell me more about the radiator issues and how you can tell if it has them?

Old 02-12-2018, 06:45 AM

Its going to take patience to find what you want. I bought my 2003 last February for 12k with 115,000 miles on it. It had brand new BFG AT tires and was in overall excellent condition. It did end up having the inevitable H2 roof leaks though so one of the first things I needed to do was pull the roof rack rails and lights and seal everything up. That was really about the only issue though and that is a common problem that will have to eventually be addressed on all H2's.

Might have to scour craigslist in other areas and potentially drive a couple of states to find just what you want. They are out there but with under 100k miles for under 20k is going to make for a tough search.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy an h2... advice?