PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locked back tailgate

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 01:09 PM
Default Locked back tailgate

I replaced the black license plate panel hooked the cable to the black handle and it worked fine opening and closing by using the handle after you unlock the hummer with your key or the control switch, you can even here the device work in the tail gate, but I think my cable came off the handle and now I can't i open the rear tailgate buy using the handle that is located on the license
plate bracket, any ideals? because it looks like there no way I can take off the interior panel from the inside in order to open the tail gate. any help here? I just spent over $300 for a new plate for the back. I hate to break the back plate in order to get the tail to gate open and install a new one. I think the cable came off the handle hook from the inside.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:23 AM

You have to take the rear panel off from inside the truck. There is a good video of a guy doing it on YouTube. It wasn’t too hard getting to the screws. I know you start with the one securing the pull down loop. There is also a good thread on this if you try a search.

T

Old 01-06-2018, 09:57 AM
Default Tail gate locked

Well I have the model with the spare tire inside and I can't take the spare tire out of the hummer because it won't fit through the passenger doorway, and the molding is so tight between the other molding it hard to even grab the tailgate molding to pull it away from the frame. only other way I see it is break off the plate on the back then order a new on,
Originally Posted by dontheo55
You have to take the rear panel off from inside the truck. There is a good video of a guy doing it on YouTube. It wasn’t too hard getting to the screws. I know you start with the one securing the pull down loop. There is also a good thread on this if you try a search.

T

Old 01-06-2018, 02:58 PM
Default Tail gate locked

The electronic lock works in the back of the tailgate because you can here it unlock the the lift gate but when you pull on the handle it will not open the lift gate and there is no way I can take off the interior panel from the inside they made these too close to the frame to even get a grip without cracking the interior plastic. any other ideals because ordering a new back plate after I break that plate off? going to cost another $400.00 from GM just to get the door unlocked It worked fine after I installed it the first time even with the electronic locks come out the next morning and can't get the lift gate to open anymore. I did manage to get a hold of the cable to the handle and It does feel like it is attached when you pull on the handle because you can feel the cable pulling but for some unknown reason the lift gate will not even open.
Originally Posted by Rhodesia
Well I have the model with the spare tire inside and I can't take the spare tire out of the hummer because it won't fit through the passenger doorway, and the molding is so tight between the other molding it hard to even grab the tailgate molding to pull it away from the frame. only other way I see it is break off the plate on the back then order a new on,

Old 01-06-2018, 05:17 PM
Default tail gate locked

I got the back door opened without breaking the interior panel stuck my hand down and just pulled one of the cable and the door opened right up, it appears that either the cables are not engaging to locking system because when you hit the lock button it does not fully engaged the rails but if you give it a push it will seat in the rail and will work but if you lock it again it will not work so I may have to buy a new actuator and maybe new cables as well, funny thing because it worked fine until I replaced the back plate
Originally Posted by Rhodesia
The electronic lock works in the back of the tailgate because you can here it unlock the the lift gate but when you pull on the handle it will not open the lift gate and there is no way I can take off the interior panel from the inside they made these too close to the frame to even get a grip without cracking the interior plastic. any other ideals because ordering a new back plate after I break that plate off? going to cost another $400.00 from GM just to get the door unlocked It worked fine after I installed it the first time even with the electronic locks come out the next morning and can't get the lift gate to open anymore. I did manage to get a hold of the cable to the handle and It does feel like it is attached when you pull on the handle because you can feel the cable pulling but for some unknown reason the lift gate will not even open.