PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key stuck in ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 06:21 AM
Default Key stuck in ignition?

So I went out to start the H3 this morning and when i hit the unlock button on the remote i noticed it didnt have its usual unlock sound, it sounded weak. Well I put the key in the ignition and turned it, nothing happened. The transmission light came on and the light with a picture of a car and a lock. So i go to take the key out and it wont budge. The key is stuck in the ignition. I tried checking fuses, unhooking the battery, made sure it was in park, etc etc. Nothing worked. Finally i decided to hook some jumper cables to it and try it again. As soon as the cables were hooked up the key came right out. Tried to start it and it started right up. Could all this just be from a dead battery? Yesterday it wouldnt start for my wife but the key didnt get stuck. We jumped it and it was fine for the rest of the day. I guess over night it died again. Any advice? I'm going to have the battery and alternator checked first chance i get.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:32 AM

Yes it is likely and bad battery or terminals. Do a search and check previous posts.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Banned

lol what the hell???? The key stick in the ignition when the battery is dead?? Wow never heard of that. Make sure its not in gear though!

Old 07-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

When the PCM dedects improper voltage, it locks up the key in the ignition switch. So if your battery is dead, or does not have a proper connection, yep... = key stuck.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Banned

Whoa thats nuts. Whats the "smarts" behind that one?

Old 07-02-2010, 09:55 AM

just dropped off the h3 at the dealership so i'll know for sure what the problem is in a day or so. Meanwhile i have a 2010 Cadillac SRX loaner.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:27 AM

Like someone else stated its probably a problem with battery. I had the same problem recently when the battery died, was able to get the key out though as it still had some life in it and had to go some whiggling around, my wife could not get it out Also as I was just putting in an aftermarket radio in my car I cam across the same thing, as soon as you disconnect the battery the key is stuck in the ignition with no pulling out.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:35 PM

Ill chime in on this, same thing happened to me 3 weeks ago. I have a new battery. Turned out to be my terminals (pos side). Hook to jumper cables, and all was fine. I was able to twist the cables around and replicate the problem. Replace the oem terminals, they are junk.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:33 PM

Had this problem last year. Dealer replaced the battery and some modulator. Tow truck had to drag the H3 out of my garage.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:38 PM

who are the ad wizards who came up with this one!!!

Quick Reply: Key stuck in ignition?