PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeeps vs Hummers...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Default RE: Jeeps vs Hummers...

Why cant the H1 be brought into the discussion? Who cares if its not made by GM the topic is Hummer vs Jeep not GM vs Jeep... And to be truly honest they are being made as special order fleet vehicles... And sure with the CJ line to the course Jeep will still loose.

The Compass and Liberty ARE JEEP and like I said its Hummer vs Jeep. And I didnt know Jeep needed a spot filled to make it less capable of a brand.

I still yet to wheel my cherokee but with my TJ it was alot more easier to get that stuck than with my H1... As for learning how to drive better check my Videos on youtube im not that bad of a offroader... And as for better tires my TJ has Mickey Thompson Baja Claws... My H1 usually has Bald MT's

As for lining up a rubicon to a h3... I kind of agree with you just based on specs etc but still have never seen them go at it in the same trail. But then you are comparing the most Capable Jeep with an H3(which no offense to H3 owners it just isnt the most capable hummer the H1 is).... I would line up my H1(when it was stock) to a Stock Rubi any day(again check my videos specifically "Hummer Like Nothing Else: Mudding") that Red Jeep in the first part was a stock rubi. After I pulled out that stock Rubi from the pit I jumped in with BALD tires and made it through.

I also would line up my Stock H1 with a Stock CJ and im sure my H1 would prevail... Actually refer to my videos again you can see some modified Cj's in there and my H1 still prevailed.

So say as you want but all you got is words... I have words and video footage to back it up.

ORIGINAL: importkiller

wow...that's just ridiculous...let's get real...the HUMMER H1 cannot be brought into this discussion...It's not a GM and they aren't made anymore!!! You wanna bring the H1 into it then add teh entire CJ line to the obstacle course

The compass,libery and others aren't made for teh off-road demographic...it's made to fill a slot and it does it's job well.

If you were constantly getting stuck in a cherokee..you need to learn how to drive or get better tires cause the cherokee/grand cherokee (certain t-cases) were very very good off road rigs.

Line up a Rubicon against an h3 and the rubi wins...HANDS DOWN...not even close...sorry folks but those are the facts....the h3 is better on road and more comfy (close though) but off road there is no competition.

CJ's against ANYTHING hummer ever made? Not many trucks in the workd could compete offroad with a cj...I think even 3hummers would agree to that.
Line up the h2 against the grand or the commander and the h2 wins, hands down.

But again I am neutral and not a hummer or jeep homer.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:54 PM

ORIGINAL: LisaM

The roads were very bad and you had to stop and open gates in deep unplowed snow and horrid mud.
don't you just love going to the remote antenna farm sites? my first company vehicle withLA Cellularwas an Isuzu Trooper - freakin' billy goat got me everywhere i needed to go

Old 03-19-2008, 05:07 PM

the h1 cannot be brought into the discussion because you said the HUMMER LINEUP....the H1 is not part of the HUMMER LINEUP anymore...just like the CJ is not part of the Jeep lineup..... might suck for you as an H1 owner but that's just the facts. If you bring the H1 into the discussiona s part of the hummer lineup then you have to bring 100 years of incredible off road machines made by Jeep into thediscussion as well....not fair is it?

Like I said...the compass and libery are not meant for off road..they still do ok on trail roads and logging roads but they were not developed for that. Trying to base any sort of arguement on that is insane.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:15 PM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

the h1 cannot be brought into the discussion because you said the HUMMER LINEUP....the H1 is not part of the HUMMER LINEUP anymore...just like the CJ is not part of the Jeep lineup..... might suck for you as an H1 owner but that's just the facts. If you bring the H1 into the discussiona s part of the hummer lineup then you have to bring 100 years of incredible off road machines made by Jeep into thediscussion as well....not fair is it?

Like I said...the compass and libery are not meant for off road..they still do ok on trail roads and logging roads but they were not developed for that. Trying to base any sort of arguement on that is insane.
Did I say Hummers Current Lineup? I said Hummers Line which did include the H1. and it is HUMMER plain and simple when they were first produced the Model of them were HUMMER the make was AM GENERAL(and even on my 98 ownership same thing.)
And your welcome to bring the entire jeep lineup but it wont do much for jeep since the test is based on the weakest link.,.. First one to fail a obsticle looses...
Also as I said before and will say again I'll put my H1(when it was stock) up against any stock vehicle jeep made, so you are more then welcome to tell me what jeep model you think would be the Hummer in all aspects of offroading... sure tight trails they might win but thats about it.

As for the Compass and Liberty it dont matter they still at made by jeep. If you come with that arguement to a Hummer Purist he would argue the fact that H2's and H3's arent meant for offroading and lack the features of a true hummer. So really that arguement has no play here... it is Hummer vs Jeep... not Hummer vs Jeep and please leave the weak jeeps outs of it.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:20 PM

Also check my video
"Hummer Truly Like Nothing Else: Mudding"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K135bWEpodg

Specifically the 2nd part of it(Gopher Dunes)
as you can see almost the full line of Jeeps(CJ's, YJ's, XJ's....) get stuck in the mud and some of them are more than mildly modded... When my Stock at the time with bald tires H1 goes through it like it was nothing.... So I tell you once again bring on any model of Jeep in stock form and I will put my H1 back to stock form and compete.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: shortbus

what came first, the chicken or the egg?

another useless argument with no real answer . . . . [&o]

Old 03-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: shortbus

don't you just love going to the remote antenna farm sites?
Yeah.... in a 9000lb 1wd E-250 to boot....

Old 03-19-2008, 05:31 PM

100 years of incredible off road machines made by Jeep into thediscussion as well....not fair is it?
Not to be a smarty pants, but Jeep hasn't been around as we know nearly as long as that and it was made by different companies. I was curious so I did a little reasearch.

"In 1940, the Army sent out specifications for a new "General Purpose" vehicle to 135 auto manufacturers. They were invited to compete for a lucrative contract to produce the vehicle for the military. To qualify for the competition, a company had to supply 70 prototype vehicles within 75 days. The main competitors were the American Bantam company, ****** and Ford. Forty million miles of test drives later, ****** won the contract. Later, Ford subcontracted to build some of the Jeeps using the ******' design."

"After the war many Jeeps were sold as surplus, and many people wanted a tough reliable vehicle, so ****** took advantage of this and started the universal CJ line (CJ-2A, CJ-3B). The CJ line was continued by Kaiser and AMC (CJ-5, CJ-6, CJ-7, CJ-8)."

"In 1970, American Motor Company purchased Jeep from Kaiser, and then itself was bought out by Chrysler in 1987. The switching of hands stopped when Daimler-Benz and Chrysler joined to form DaimlerChrysler."

I thought it was interesting that both vehicles were at one time produced by AMC. Both brands were bought and "civilianized" only the Jeep has been going through civilianization for21 years so that explains why the modern Jeep is so far removed from the original Jeeps. It will be interesting to see where the Hummer goes...It is still only a few models removed from it's original roots.

Lisa

Old 03-19-2008, 05:51 PM

Good thread..very entertaining

Old 03-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

This is an argument with no end because the answer involves a lot of personal preferences and no small amount of pride and emotion.
Impy is correct. I have had a multitude of 4x4 vehicles including two CJs and a Cherokee. I loved my CJs. It has been awhile since I had them but the main reason I got rid of them is that I couldn't carry enough gear in one. Throw a buddy or two in a CJ for a 2-4 day hunt with gear and something or someone gets left behind. The Cherokee was a sorry POS and I wouldn't wish one of those on my worst enemy. If that bothers anyone that was my personal experience and that's all I can comment on. The Rubi, IMO, is a more capable off road vehicle than the H3. The Rubi is also built to be much more of an off road vehicle than the H3. The H3 is a very civilized 4x4 and very capable off road when you consider what a great on road everyday vehicle it is.
I took my H2 anywhere and everywhere. I have said it before but the H2 is the best combination of offroad 4x4 and everyday driver I have ever driven. Once again, my opinion and experience, but I don't see where anyone can argue with this.
The H1 is in a class by itself for an off the showroom floor vehicle. For most people the H1 is not an ideal everyday driver. I have driven 4x4s and trucks most of my life so it doesn't bother me at all.

I am talking stock, from the factory rigs. As far as I am concerned once you have performance modded the vehicle you are out of the discussion.
For what it is worth that is my .02. I am sure I have not persuaded anyone to change positions but that is what my experience, as modest as that is, tells me.

Let the debate continue.

Quick Reply: Jeeps vs Hummers...