PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep versus Hummer Question???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 04:02 PM
Default Jeep versus Hummer Question???

Just out of curiousity, I was wondering which manufacturer had the jeep/hummer grill first??? I almost think it was Jeep, but not sure....do you guys know?

Old 01-31-2008, 04:05 PM
Default RE: Jeep versus Hummer Question???

RealJeep would know the history more than I but I believe both brands originated as an am general product...thus the grills. I know the first jeep was in 1940, and I think the first hummer was in the 70's

Old 01-31-2008, 04:40 PM

From what I can remember Jeep had the slotted grille first. Hummer made it better.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:35 PM

I think Jeep had it first.

GM was sued early in 2003 by DaimlerChrysler, owners of the Jeep brand, for the Hummer's seven slot grille which resembled the design DaimlerChrysler argued consumers associated with Jeep vehicles.[1] The lawsuit was dismissed due to the past corporate history involving AMC and Jeep. Production of the Hummer H1 (the "H1" designation differentiates it from the H2 and H3 that were derived from GM-developed platforms) was discontinued in June 2006

Old 01-31-2008, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

All above are accurate. That is the story.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:40 PM

Y'all beat me to the answer. Jeep and HUMMER are cousins born from the AM General / AMC union. Both go back to the originalMB series Jeep that was designed by Bantam Motor Company and built by Kaiser during WWII.
http://www.jeep.com/jeep_life/legend...mp;type=button

A funny side note...Chrysler/Jeep sued General Motorsin 2002 about using the trademark seven slat grille on HUMMERs. Obviously Chrysler lost...

Old 02-01-2008, 02:38 PM

I thought it originated from Jeep's predesessor, the ***** Quad circa 1940 -from Bantam Motors as previously stated. Athought the picture I found here shows the grill tobe more like jail-cell bars, then the 7 slot grill we know today.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

What about Ford's GP???

The Jeep marque
The marque has gone through many owners, starting in 1941 with ******, which produced the first Civilian Jeep (CJ). ****** was sold to Kaiser in 1953, which became Kaiser-Jeep in 1963. American Motors (AMC) purchased Kaiser’s money-losing Jeep operations in 1970. The utility vehicles complemented AMC’s passenger car business by sharing components, achieving volume efficiencies, as well as capitalizing on Jeep’s international and government markets.
The French automaker Renault began investing in AMC in 1979. However, by 1987, the automobile markets had changed and even Renault itself was experiencing financial troubles. At the same time, Chrysler Corporation wanted to capture the Jeep brand, as well as other assets of AMC. Chrysler bought out AMC in 1987, shortly after the Jeep CJ was replaced with the AMC-designed Jeep Wrangler or YJ. Chrysler merged with Daimler-Benz in 1998 to form DaimlerChrysler. DaimlerChrysler eventually sold most of their interest in Chrysler to a private equity company in 2007. Chrysler and the Jeep division now operate under the name Chrysler Holding LLC.
Toledo, Ohio has been the headquarters of the Jeep marque since its inception, and the city has always been proud of this heritage. Although no longer produced in the same factory as the World War II originals, two streets in the vicinity of the old plant are named ****** Parkway and Jeep Parkway.
American Motors set up the first automobile-manufacturing joint venture in the People's Republic of China on January 15, 1984 [2]. The result was Beijing Jeep Corporation, Ltd., in partnership with Beijing Automobile Industry Corporation, to produce the Jeep Cherokee (XJ) in Beijing. Manufacture continued after Chrysler's buyout of AMC. This joint venture is now part of DaimlerChrysler and DaimlerChrysler China Invest Corporation. The original 1984 XJ model was updated and called the "Jeep 2500" toward the end of its production that ended after 2005.[3]
Jeep vehicles have "model designations" in addition to their comm

Old 02-01-2008, 02:53 PM

to this day that jeep would still outwheel a hummer

Old 02-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Is that where you got the idea to spray paint the inside of yours to match the outside??

Quick Reply: Jeep versus Hummer Question???