PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

its winter again. How do turn off the abs again?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 12:05 AM
Default Winter....H2.....ice&snow

I like my ABS, it works fine on dry, wet and icy pavement. Provided you are driving with caution ALL the time. How-ever TC dosen't work well at all in deep snow, on a incline ...that is paved! The OEM tires on an H2 have too large a footprint and not enough agression in the tread dept.! I've done a 180* turn in my driveway when the packed snow sheared. Cant turn TC off. I finally made it to the top two-footing it and overloading the computers tripping ABS and TC off-line. ABS would be a good thing if you could turn off TC when you need to. I heard that the H3's have a switch.
I live in New England now, but I grew up in central Alaska. Lived on/ driven the ALCAN Hwy.
MikeH

Old 09-21-2010, 06:39 AM
Banned

Traction control works GREAT (on h3's anyhwo) if you know how to use it and drive it.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:50 AM

I made a comment when you asked this question the first time. I have to admit, I did take some time to think about it again before I posted. What did I conclude? You're still an idiot. USE YOUR ABS!

Old 10-29-2010, 09:30 PM
Default I agree with you!!!

I totally agree that ABS sucks in the snow. If you actually know how to drive, then it is not helpful because it kicks in when you dont want it to and screws you up. For those who dont know how to drive well, it is a god send, kind of like a safety net for retards. Most people who drive H2's are yuppie idiots who cant drive, but those of us who have them because they are awesome off-road vehicles, we can drive and are skilled enough to handle things on our own. Pull the fuse and run it!!!

Old 10-30-2010, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by blehr621
I totally agree that ABS sucks in the snow. If you actually know how to drive, then it is not helpful because it kicks in when you dont want it to and screws you up. For those who dont know how to drive well, it is a god send, kind of like a safety net for retards. Most people who drive H2's are yuppie idiots who cant drive, but those of us who have them because they are awesome off-road vehicles, we can drive and are skilled enough to handle things on our own. Pull the fuse and run it!!!

Let's consider this now........ normally I don't get caught up in idiotic rants from stupid people but let's think about this for a second. ABS was invented to help in bad weather. It keeps the wheels from locking by compressing and releasing the calipers very quickly. It keeps the wheels from locking which causes a skid and can cause a person to lose control. Regardless of how good of oa driver you may think you are, accidents do happen and bad things do too. You might be startled one day while driving by a dog or a deer and accidentally depress the pedal too quickly and cause a skid.

My point is that someone who prefers to utilize a safety net is not automatically a poor driver nor are we all yuppie idiots. The person who is ignorant enough to classify everyone into a categorical negative based solely on their own stupidity and ignorance however, that is the very definition of a moron.

I own a Hummer, a 2007 SUT and I don't take it off road. I bought it because I like it and if you want to question my driving ability, I do PSD work in Afghanistan and for the past four years, I drove and operated in a Tier one environment in the middle east and Africa. I have driven in some very rough conditions sport and I am not yuppie although I don't take offense to that particular euphemism.

I think that offering the advice you did is reckless and irresponsible and you should probably find a way to keep from reproducing.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:45 AM
Default ABS vs non-ABS

ABS vs. non-ABS
ABS keeps the wheels from locking under hard braking, such as during a sudden stop or emergency situation. Sensors located near each wheel monitor speed to determine when the wheels are about to lock. (Locked wheels cannot be influenced by further braking input.) Once the wheels lock up on a non-ABS-equipped vehicle, steering ability is severely or completely compromised. Because the ABS system can pump the brakes up to 18 times per second (faster than any human), the system prevents the wheels from locking, allowing the driver to maintain steering control and maneuver around the obstacle.
The advantages of ABS far outweigh those of conventional brakes. In an emergency stop in an ABS-equipped vehicle, you will be able to maintain full steering capability, particularly if you are on dry pavement. On a slippery road, you may find that the steering will not be as responsive, but you will still have more control than with conventional brakes. If your vehicle is equipped with electronic stability control, which utilizes the ABS system to maintain control of the vehicle, you will have even greater control during hard braking.