PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

its winter again. How do turn off the abs again?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Hummer Guy
I'll pose my question again to the anti-ABS crowd, "what method of stopping on ice do you have that is more effective than ABS?"
you are not stopping on ice with or without ABS

Old 01-02-2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by largemouthbass
you are not stopping on ice with or without ABS
I'll pose my question for a third time, with a couple of wording variations:

What method of stopping in winter conditions do you have that is more effective than ABS?

What are you able to do that ABS isn't able to do?

Old 09-08-2010, 05:03 PM

Hey Hummer Guy, I think you got your answer! LOL
(Or maybe the laws of physics are work differently in Canada!)

Old 09-08-2010, 06:33 PM

ABS is on there to help keep you from locking your tires up. Once you lock your tires your screwed!!

Old 09-08-2010, 08:07 PM

It's when you don't need the ABS and it kicks in....annoying. I know quite a bit of old school people who pull their fuses.

Last edited by Mr. Fancy Pants; 09-08-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:48 AM

I gotta tell you that with Mud Tires ABS/TC are a life saver for driving in the snow while in AWD. Maybe its different with the factory tires? I dunno I never had the factory tires.

The TC does get annoying during offroading in the snow. But getting rid of ABS for snow driving just sounds a little crazy to me.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:16 PM

I haven't driven my hummer in the snow yet, but as far as four wheeling goes .... ABS really sucks when your going down a slope of loose shale, rocks and fine dirt, ramping over bumps and not being able to stop because the ABS are freaking out over the terrain. I would like to shut it off just for the offroading problems.

My other cars that I did drive in the snow had ABS. Its a strange sensation feeling out of control, but if you think about it ... if the ABS werent engaging with its typical "stutter" method ... you would simply be locked up skidding out of control.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Banned

The thing with abs is, if you have bald tires, you WILL feel out of control and the car WONT do what you want (for examply, my awd Jaguar with bald summer radials). Mind you, the awd system in my Jaguar is one of the BEST factory awd systems in a street-car, yet with bald tires even an ounce of slush/ice sent the abs crazy and it was SCARY how the car wasn't under control. Now, take for examply my Pacifica awd, with really meaty all-seasons. First of all, with the meaty tires on the Pacifica, it was HARD to get the abs to engage; they were great tires. BUT when the abs DID engage, the car did EXACTLY what I wanted it, and the abs was able to take control of the vehicle within probably a second or 2 tops.

So the long of the short of it is, having bald or crappy tires WILL make abs take you out of control and really scare you. With good tires, abs will be a dream come true because when you actually need it, the tires/abs work together and keep you in complete control.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis
Hey Hummer Guy, I think you got your answer! LOL
(Or maybe the laws of physics are work differently in Canada!)
Yep - even in the subsequent responses...strange...

Originally Posted by Mr. Fancy Pants
I know quite a bit of old school people who pull their fuses.
The same ones that don't buckle their seat belts and rewire the warning alarm to not ding at them?

I used to know some but they're all dead now...

Old 09-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hummer Guy

The same ones that don't buckle their seat belts and rewire the warning alarm to not ding at them?

I used to know some but they're all dead now...
hahahaha thats hilarious

Quick Reply: its winter again. How do turn off the abs again?