PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Install of Brush Guard

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Default Install of Brush Guard

Hi All,

Just signed on the forum, nice place, and am looking for a little help. Just bought a GM (installed by dealer to original owner) brush guard for an H2 off Ebay, and was wondering how it goes on? I see the bolt holes when I open the hood, but the plastic piece is obviously in the way. It has the two 90 degree 2 hole tabs on it with the two smaller upper arms and is the stock one, I am sure.

Was wondering, does anyone have the instructions for this piece? Any advice on how to bolt it on? what size bolts? Any help is appreciated, just bought the bare guard, old owner was no help.

Thanks, Ron

Old 07-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Install of Brush Guard

Does it look like mine?? If so, I will look at mine tomorrow and see what size bolts are in it.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

SO... I wake up this morning to check out my ride.

I pulled the lower grill (4 clips) and it revealed that the brush guard is mounted using the hood hinge bolts.

So basically I would say that it is pretty straightforward on the install. Remove the lower grill, remove the two bolts on one side, install bracket, tighten bolts on that side, remove the bolts on the other side, repeat. I personally would not take both sides of hinge bolts out at the same time. I think I'll repeat that. I would not take all 4 bolts out at the same time. The guard looks like it mounts to the brackets with 5/16 inch shank, 1" long, 3/8 head bolts with washers and lockwashers.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:16 AM

Muddydawg75,

Thanks so much for taking the time to do all this. Pics too! I am very impressed with my welcome to the forum.

I called the dealer I bought my '06 SUT at and the service guy was very uninformed and quoted me $200 for an install. BTW, your guard looks identical to mine. I have the lights too, but no wiring harness so I am going to try to figure that one out next. Got the whole guard w/lights for $100 on ebay so don't mind dropping a little cash to make it look nice.

Hope I can return the favour one day.

Ron

Old 07-09-2007, 03:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Muddydawg75

SO... I wake up this morning to check out my ride.

I pulled the lower grill (4 clips) and it revealed that the brush guard is mounted using the hood hinge bolts.

So basically I would say that it is pretty straightforward on the install. Remove the lower grill, remove the two bolts on one side, install bracket, tighten bolts on that side, remove the bolts on the other side, repeat. I personally would not take both sides of hinge bolts out at the same time. I think I'll repeat that. I would not take all 4 bolts out at the same time. The guard looks like it mounts to the brackets with 5/16 inch shank, 1" long, 3/8 head bolts with washers and lockwashers.

Hey, wash the TOE!

Old 07-09-2007, 04:48 PM

ORIGINAL: ronster737

Muddydawg75,

Thanks so much for taking the time to do all this. Pics too! I am very impressed with my welcome to the forum.

I called the dealer I bought my '06 SUT at and the service guy was very uninformed and quoted me $200 for an install. BTW, your guard looks identical to mine. I have the lights too, but no wiring harness so I am going to try to figure that one out next. Got the whole guard w/lights for $100 on ebay so don't mind dropping a little cash to make it look nice.

Hope I can return the favour one day.

Ron
Not sure about the factory lights but my PIAA's were cake walk to do .. dealer offered to do it for $50 bucks flat but ended up doing it myself as I tend to avoid the electrical stuff most of the time .. time to step up to the plate :-)
Good price on the BG but the install cost is horrendous. I did mine, which is far bigger and heavier than what you have, on my own with zero issues. Took 20 mins maybe. And like Muddy said .. DO NOT TAKE ALL BOLTS OUT AT THE SAME TIME :-)
You may want to check ebay and see if you can locate a harness for the factory lights. I'm not sure if they would sell you just the wiring but if you draw a blank there you can always approach your dealer and see if they have a set on a spare parts list type of deal. If not .. I'd remove them and get a set of PIAA's instead, you'll get a fresh harness with them if nothing else :-)

Old 07-09-2007, 04:54 PM

Hey muddy, did you have yours dealer installed? When I slapped on that big ol' thing I have nowadays .. I ended up having to cut the living daylights out of that lower grille in order to get it to clear the BG mounts. Granted, my BG is not a GM part but man ... turned out looking great and you obviously can't tell I ended up having to take a hacksaw to it ... sucks having to do that though ... If I ever decided to take the BG off I'd have to replace that trim piece or it would be VERY noticeable :/

Old 07-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

First off.... my toe is clean....

Second.... my guard came with the truck so I had no clue how it was mounted. It was worth the effort to educate myself a little bit....

I think $200 is too much money to install. I'd feel guilty charging you a case of beer to do it.,,, but I would get over it.

My lower grill is not cut that I can tell. If it was they did an A+ job with the finish work.

My ride doesn't have a sunroof so my light switch is in the console.
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/1306/dsc00364qp9.jpg

Wiring is easy. If you think you can handle it yourself I am sure I can put some kind of kit together. I have a lot of bulk wire on my service van. I dunno.... maybe $200 is worth it for you....

Let me know.