PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

The Infamous GM meeting... closure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Default RE: GM wants to meet w/ me!

Old 12-13-2007, 04:18 PM

You could always notify you morgage co and let them know you won't pay any more notes untill the truck gets fixed right and sometimes they will get involved. since they have more money than we do, dealers would be be more willing to fix it like it should be. i have been there and done that.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:55 PM

[:'(] Hi all. As it happens I am a dealer, but not for Hummer and not in the state in which you reside...but I thought maybe I could offer a few thoughts to help. First off, I agree with the tact that "we are sooooo disappointed with this vehicle and embarrassed" rather than trying to strong-arm. The fact of the matter is that the GM rep is a person just like you-and frankly my bet is he is dreading this meeting as much as you are. It's no fun...I've been through a handful of these and we (at the dealership level) really want a positive outcome as much as the customer does.

I don't know your dealer, and again I've never worked with Hummer....but the bad press a person like you is capable of generating is something they are afraid of, and either a: they are genuinely good people and want to do the right thing, or b: they want to give you something to shut you up. Either way it works to your advantage.

I would NOT take an attorney to any initial meeting. That is the equivalent of showing up with a pit bull-sets the stage for a fight that it would seem neither you nor them wants. I would even question the tape-recording part...again it sets a negative tone. I would instead take a tablet and let them know you are taking notes. I agree that you don't have to jump at the first thing that comes your way-but you do need to enter into this thing with a reasonable, level head regarding the issues you have had and the inconvenience you have faced.

I would agree with some of the others-repeated TPMS problems do not a new vehicle demand. I would instead bet they offer some form of monitary settlement, in which they accept no blame but wish to "do the right thing since you've been inconvenienced" which I have seen in the form of payment reimbursement. Put another way: "what's your current payment, and how many days, etc...have you been without the vehicle". They can instead offer you a special incentive to trade out of the car towards another if you wish-and I wouldn't be surprised to see the dealership try to participate in something too.

It's tough in the car business right now-doing the RIGHT thing by you might earn your loyalty-doing the WRONG thing can plague them for years.

Anyway, I wish you good luck and hope it turns out as you wish. Take care.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

well put Mike....

Old 12-13-2007, 06:17 PM
Default RE: The Infamous GM meeting

well, the meeting was enlightening for the GM rep. He was floored on the type of repeated service my family had experienced, and the 7 trips for the same problem. Believe it or not they still don't have a fix for the TPMS issue. 3 trucks came in for TPMS while I was there negotiating. My car easily qualified for the state lemon law. I only took a notepad and asked for a written commitment on a stenopad for each thing agreed upon. So, the rep wanted to handle the case at the local level (between us men) and leave the legal system at bay. I explained I was not completely satisfied with my Hummer experience including postpurchase handling, service and deceitfulness of our sales advisor. He was willing to make things right so I can "spread the word that Hummer cares and goes the extra mile for it's customers". He made a few phone calls and came up with something called a Substitution for Collateral? kinda like a buyback -MSRP for MSRP on a new vehicle. I'm able to keep same carryover financing too but need to pay difference on Alpha upgrade...approx. $5K.
If I like this deal they said it'll be 1.5 months to get me in my new car... any thoughts out there? Five thousand seems ok for a loaded Alpha
I felt like they wanted to right a wrong and move forward.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

so you are saying they will give you the 0% on an alpha???

that sounds like a no-brainer to me on what to do...

Old 12-13-2007, 06:31 PM

yes sir! there's always a loophole

Old 12-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Tell them you will take two if that is the deal.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:14 PM

Sounds like a GOOD DEAL to me!!! I'd JUMP ON IT!!!!

Old 12-13-2007, 09:47 PM

Nicely done! If they give you the same financing plus $5K, you're in. That's a great deal. As was stated earlier, the issues are hugely inconvenient but aren't necessarily buyback material. So you can go even into an I5 08 or $5K into an Alpha? If you can swing the $5K, go for it! [/align]

Quick Reply: The Infamous GM meeting... closure?