PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

importkiller & MPG

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: importkiller & MPG

My gas mileage actually got a little worse since it was new. After the engine was broken in (by the book, no less) it went down 1 to 2 mpg's for me, but then again, I drive a stick and got more comfortable with the shifting. If they tell you that's Acceptable, I would say "Acceptable by whom?"

You can go a long ways with this: False Advertising, Misleading the consumer, BBB reports, etc. There has to be a reason for this. Most of us are all getting the same mileage and we are in all different parts of the country, driving manual's and automatics, diff size tires, different mods, etc. It should all average about the same.

OK< I will shut up now

Old 08-22-2006, 06:00 PM

Picked up the h3 from the dealer. They said that everything was within specs. They claim to have made some minor adjustments to the computer-controlled system. I think they were just throwing out some big words to appease me.

I was told to run 3 tanks through the vehicle and see what happens. They said if it doesn’t get any better they would look at it again. Hope fully importkiller will have more luck than I did.

Old 08-22-2006, 06:04 PM

you're right in thinking that this could go a long way, Mike... but I'd really hate to see GM try to kill off HUMMER in the long run because of EPA certified gas milage numbers being wrong and getting tangled in a class action law suit...

on the lighter side, the same type of thing happened with the 1999 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra, it was rated at 320hp & didn't deliver the promised numbers because of a kink in the exhaust and improperly casted intake units, IIRC. now look at where the Cobra is... the 03/04 Cobras were rated at 390hp, and most of them dyno'ed numbers just below that to the rear wheels, and the Shelby GT500 is rated at 500hp and it dynos in the mid 440's in the summer time

Old 08-22-2006, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't actually go that far, I'm just saying, don't let the dealer persuay you to just accept it I sure wouldn't

Old 08-22-2006, 07:02 PM

yeah, if it turns out that my car just blows in MPG, then I'm going to reset the ECU myself, if that doesn't work, then I'm going to have them reflash it, if that doesn't work, then I'm going to ask them what exactly happened to my truck before I got it (304 miles on it when I was handed the keys)

edit: either way, I have a feeling that I'll get better mpg in the Hummer than I will in the cobra... also, just out of curiosity how are H2 owners doing on gas?

Old 08-22-2006, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

It had 300 miles on it when you bought it? The computer probably learned the WRONG way to work the engine. DOH!

Old 08-22-2006, 08:16 PM

ORIGINAL: CerberusSVT

yeah, if it turns out that my car just blows in MPG, then I'm going to reset the ECU myself, if that doesn't work, then I'm going to have them reflash it, if that doesn't work, then I'm going to ask them what exactly happened to my truck before I got it (304 miles on it when I was handed the keys)

edit: either way, I have a feeling that I'll get better mpg in the Hummer than I will in the cobra... also, just out of curiosity how are H2 owners doing on gas?

I get around 11 in town and 15 to 16 on the highway. I'm sure with a good tailwind, I could manage 17

Old 08-23-2006, 12:32 AM

ORIGINAL: blackstangs281

ORIGINAL: CerberusSVT

I get around 11 in town and 15 to 16 on the highway. I'm sure with a good tailwind, I could manage 17
haha, thats awesome, I was expecting alot worse to be honest! Thanks blackstangs281!!

I'll have to tell my dad that the H2 probably won't get down to the single digits around town - he's getting about 12 now in his denali and his lease is coming up in 2 or 3 months I think?
while I'm at it.... Any grips about your H2? what are some of its strong points?

Old 08-23-2006, 09:46 AM

No grips with the H2. I knew the gas mileage I was getting into when I bought it. ...........Strong points----IT'S BOLDNESS.
If your dad is use to the Denali, the H2 will have more road noise and a little less power because of the full time 4wd. The mpg will drop 1 or 2 for him, but it would be worth it

Old 08-23-2006, 08:31 PM

ORIGINAL: blackstangs281

No grips with the H2. I knew the gas mileage I was getting into when I bought it. ...........Strong points----IT'S BOLDNESS.
If your dad is use to the Denali, the H2 will have more road noise and a little less power because of the full time 4wd. The mpg will drop 1 or 2 for him, but it would be worth it
Thanks blackstangs281, I figure that he might end up not wanting the range sport because it just wouldn't hold everything for big ski trips or golf trips, since its really not much bigger if any than my H3? Thanks again!

Quick Reply: importkiller & MPG